Just writing a little blip to keep my mind occupied. Tonight on the eve of my baby turning 5 months old we have started sleep training.
We don't follow a method. We're not CIO people or Ferber or what have you. We are just tired. Survival mode has certainly passed yet it still feels like we are in survival mode with the sleep.
M is certainly different from her brother who was always very easy. Or maybe we're just different in our parenting. Either way, we had fallen into some bad sleep habits and so had she. Pretty much she had to be nursing or at least held to fall asleep and if you moved all bets were off. She's still waking up every 2-4 hours usually closer to 2.
We hit a crisis last night when she would NOT go back to sleep at 4:00 and Husband took her for a walk until 5:30 just so she would sleep.
So we set up a new bedtime routine... to basically have a set bedtime routine. For real, a lot of her problems are our fault. We know. And we are 100% kicking her out of our room. We took the pack n play down so there's no turning back. Well I suppose there technically is, but it will at least put a spoke in our wheel. An added bonus is our very small room now seems massive.
So for the next few weeks we are in sleeping boot camp. Naps and bedtime are going to be strict and we are going to train our little girl to fall asleep on her own in her own space.
Honestly it's very weird for her to not be in my arms right now and I am a little wigged out. But it is best for everyone if we all get some sleep. Since her 7:00 bedtime we have gone in five times but not since 8:47! (I am keeping a sleep log per recommendations so I can track patterns.)
It's a brave new world.
Uggg yeah... sleep is one thing I dread about infants and toddlers. I've shared my fair about Annamarie's poor sleeping habits.
ReplyDeleteGood luck!!! It will be rough at first but better for everyone in the end!
ReplyDelete