Well we survived Kindergarten Round-Up yesterday. It was slightly more intense than I was anticipating but in a "I am sure the kids didn't notice" kind of way. When we got there, we filled out a form and a name tag. Each child had a name tag pinned to their front and a number pinned to their back.
There were teachers all over the room to observe the group with their notepads. Each table in the classroom had an activity and C picked coloring. (Which really has been his thing lately but man oh man, a year ago I would have said you were drunk if you had told me he was going to like coloring.) So he sat down and started coloring his I Love School picture and I left.
Some kids were scream-crying and clinging to their moms so I was delighted that we didn't at least have that problem. From what it sounds like, they did a mini class. They read a book about sunflowers and planted a sunflower seed with a little poem. "Sunflower, sunflower, when you are tall, I'll be at St. Paul's in the fall." They had a snack time. And then they took each child individually for an evaluation.
Husband, M and I were in the "fill out paperwork and listen to the presentation" meeting and they showed us the educational evaluation they were using. It included letter, shape, color, number, beginning sounds and sight words identification. If C was having a good day, which it seems like he was, he should have rocked that part! Sight words being the weak spot but it was announced that it wasn't a requirement at all, just a benchmark. And and the were on the list though and he definitely told us he knew those, which were the two words on the list I would have anticipated him knowing.
When we went back to get him, they told me how sweet he is and that they could tell he has a tender heart, so that's good to hear.
I am not sure when we hear back about how it all went but I am happy with it! I can't properly express my relief in finding out last week that we could wait until May to decide which class will best suit C's needs next school year. Yesterday I thought I would be nervous but it was just another day. I felt very calm and collected and it was good. I even talked to a bunch of other moms and made conversation which is pretty good for me!
Today we hosted a play date for some friends of his from preschool. The twins whose birthday party he went to in December. They had a great time and I am so glad I put myself out there to invite them. I was nervous to do so but the best way to feel involved in the community is to make some friends right? Anyway, it was a fun play date and bonus: the house is clean. Always a nice feeling.

So glad it went well!!!! I know that's a relief. And yes, the best way to feel part of anything (and especially a new school - no matter which year he starts) is to get involved as soon as possible. Not only will you meet the parents of the kids your kids will be hanging out with, if you volunteer in the classroom you will get to spend time with the kids your kids are hanging out with. I always like having a little extra insight into just what exactly is going on in the classroom. ;)
ReplyDelete