Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Apples and Pumpkins and Muffins

Well it's October! We spent this past weekend with family at the orchard. It was just the very best weekend and my love tank is full.

Friday at home was not good. But I am not going to focus on that. I was stressed and unhappy but we went and picked C up from school with a packed up car and we hit the road right from school. A few hours later we made it to our favorite restaurant in town to meet my parents! I am now convinced that every time I visit my inlaws my parents should come too! It is just the best.

The kids went and had a camp out with my parents in the hotel. They got a room that had bunk beds so they thought it was a lot of fun. Husband and I went out to the farm to spend some time with my BIL and SIL. Our kids go to bed a ton earlier than their kids so we rarely get adult time together so it was quite nice.

Saturday morning Husband and I went on a tour of his high school. They had remodeled it fairly recently and his reunion coordinator set up a tour. I had actually never been in the high school at all and it was really neat. They have some really impressive facilities for the size of the town. No wonder they are consistently ranked in the state!

We went and met our children and my parents at the park. C and M LOVE this park so much and I love it too.



Often there is no one on this playground but after we had been there a few minutes several vans full of kids and teenagers pulled up so we switched to another play area. On the walk over (the town only has one big park but there's lots of different playgrounds in it) my kids picked some flowers for my mom. 


After we left the park, Husband took the kids to the farm and I went with my parents for a pit stop at ShopKo and then to a winery that is right nearby the farm/orchard. They make a wine with some of the apples and I had just never been. We sampled well and I got IDed! We bought a bunch of bottles which makes us seem like wine drinkers when we really aren't! There were some recipes we wanted to try with some of the wines so we bought the ones we'd need. 

We joined the rest of the family at the orchard and after some time M, my mom and I headed back to the hotel for rest time. (She doesn't nap often but I will be darned if I don't try!) She promptly passed out because she stayed up late and then ran around with all the fresh air. The other kids headed out to the orchard and Husband took this picture.


I just wish we had gotten one with M in it!! 

Saturday evening Husband went to his reunion and I stayed at his Grandma's house with the kids. His 85 year old grandma kicked my tush in Bananagrams. But in my defense, she is the QUEEN of knowing all the two and three letter words that no one has ever heard of. So I had great long real words and she had all these short ones. She still won, but I do feel good about my showing! 

Sunday was a festival day at the orchard. It was NEVER our intention to visit on a festival weekend but we didn't plan the high school reunion. It's always super busy. But the kids got to paint some pumpkins which they love doing.


And we all took the hayride out to the orchard and M got to pick a pumpkin. She got a good one. C picked his the day before when they were out there. God bless my inlaws for growing pumpkins and giving them to us as well as a bounty of apples.

We left Sunday afternoon about 3:00 and headed home with a car full of apples, pumpkins and dirty farm laundry. (Oh my gosh the grime. I know I could never live there but I couldn't take the grime!)

Monday brought a long day of unpacking and cleaning and I finally got a new phone. (Which is why there aren't very many pictures and why my Friday was not super swell.)

We've brought October in by watching Curious George's Boo Fest three times already. And I made some more muffins this morning. Because it's October! It was fabulous and chilly this weekend but now it's back near 80 so I turned my AC back on (again!) and I am just pretending in here.


So that's basically what we know. Life is fairly normal and this weekend we are going to put up applesauce, apple pie filling and apple butter. 

2 comments:

  1. Why aren't we neighbors???
    Your weekend sounds full of fun and fall and family!!!
    LOVE the photo your husband took.
    And your muffins???
    I can literally smell them!
    You are doing fall with your littles right, my friend.
    Hugs!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a truly wonderful weekend with all the fall things!!! My 30th(let that sink in....) high school reunion is this weekend. I went to the 5th and the 10th and decided I was done so I will not be attending. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!