Thursday, May 5, 2022

May!

 Happy Cinco De Mayo! Crazy that we are already 5 days into this lusty month of May. 

We started this month off with C's track meet. He did a track program through the Catholic High School for students in 3-8th. It's basically to be a training feeder program. But C has enjoyed running this past year so we thought we'd give it a whirl. 

Here are my takeaways: track meets are boring. (It was May 1 and very cold and windy, which may have had something to do with it.) 


This is my little guy running the 400m. He was the only boy in his age range who opted to run it so he actually ran with two 8th graders and they were obviously quite far ahead of him. One of the high school track guys ran part of it in the infield with him to encourage him which I really appreciated. 

To C's credit he ran the entire time. No walking, skipping or anything. Just focused and running. I was proud. I have no idea what his actual time was but it doesn't matter. He got his tee shirt and was very happy. I think ultimately, he will become a cross country runner over track, but what do I know?! He surprises me often. 

In other news M's class got to lead Mass yesterday. This was a big deal because they were the first first graders to lead since the 2018/2019 school year. 

C's first grade year they did 4th quarter, when they would have led, at home. 
C's second grade year they didn't have all school Masses with classes leading. 

And now we are in this school year, and both kids got to lead their masses for the first time. My heart is happy. 

Anyway, M had an intention during the prayers of the faithful. "For every child, that they will know God loves them, we pray." 



They also did a special song at the end of Mass. 


It was so wonderful! I was proud and I couldn't stop smiling the whole time. Their little voices leading the music? I mean, it really doesn't get any better. 



The big question over here is will there be soccer on Saturday? At the beginning of March we had a big storm and it destroyed all the soccer goals at our town's soccer complex. Like everything these days the were backordered and so the season was pushed back from starting April 2 to April 23. 

Well it's been so rainy that the field conditions are terrible and the last 2 weeks worth of games was cancelled. They haven't even played a game yet! 

Only thing is it's supposed to rain today and tomorrow. Saturday itself is supposed to be nice but if the field is mush... well we will see. This weekend is supposed to be pictures. (Rescheduled for the third time.) AND a a previously scheduled double header. 

I am torn between wanting M to play, not deal with the tears of disappointment and the utterly enjoyment of NOT actually having to go out to the complex for games. 

So Happy May! 





4 comments:

  1. Track Meets are boring. Both when I participated in high school, and watching my kids meets now. I used to throw shotput, and we competed against a school on Martha's Vineyard, which was a one hour drive plus one hour ferry from my high school. So I used to drive one hour to my high school, then two more hours just to throw a shotput for two seconds and wait around for the rest of the meet to be over, to travel back two hours to my high school, and then drive an hour home. So yeah, I feel ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Track meets are boring for sure. Some of my kids ran in junior high, and the meets took forever. The worst was when my daughter did hurdles (first event) then girls field (last event). We'd be at some meets for hours. (Esp given that most of the other schools are at least an hour away from home.) However, some schools had playgrounds next to the track, so we passed the time there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Track meets. Right up there with soccer games for me. It was always blistering hot or pouring rain. We moms do it, though. Because we love our littles! Happy May!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Track meets are the worst but I love that he ran the whole thing! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!