Labor Day weekend. When August turns to September and we hope the weather finally cools down. Spoiler: it's been okay weather wise but not actually cool yet.
It's also generally speaking my birthday weekend. And so it was. The plan had been for months and months to go to MN and head to the State Fair. I love the MN State Fair and my kids have never been so that's what we planned.
But due to reasons outside our control, we weren't able to go. (A little virus that rhymes with Movid. This first bit of September here is quite busy for me and I just don't have time to knowingly go spend time around said virus.)
So we were home. And had no real plans.
We went to Texas Roadhouse for lunch and I took one picture and it wasn't of me. C has finally discovered how he likes his steak after some trial and error.
We went to pick up a Target order and this guy in his boot and definitely NOT using his crutches because he was on his phone made me laugh out loud. Crutches are annoying, for sure. But then just don't get them out of the car!
We celebrated by having pink squirrels for those over 21 and strawberry shakes for those under 21.
I LOVE a pink squirrel. And when it was official on Wednesday night we wouldn't be going to MN the only thing I wanted and could think of was just once and for all getting the things to make one at home. Creme de Noyeau or Creme de Almond is more complicated to get than I expected but we got it and the Creme de Cacoa.
This scene may or not be responsible for my love of Pink Squirrels and my love of the bossa nova.
And they were delicious. What a fantastic little treat to celebrate being 38.
Sunday we took a little trip to the Sawmill Museum about an hour away.
This was the animatronic lumbar baron show and I thought it would be more like the Stars Hallow Museum Diorama but it was particularly well done and informative. I am glad I didn't make fun of it before it started except in my head.
It was genuinely more interesting and educational than I was expecting. I don't know that I have any real need to return to the museum but I am glad we went.
Afterward, we went to dinner at a restaurant famous for their Chicken George aka chicken tenders.
And they were pretty good and we had a nice time there too before heading home.
Labor Day was fine. There honestly isn't much to report. And not a single picture was taken.
The low point was I tried to make popovers and they were little pucks of awfulness. Par for the course for the weekend really... getting all excited about things that ultimately disappoint you. Having no expectations is really the way to go. Too bad I love popovers, have a popover pan, and somehow cannot make a dang popover. (If you're good at making popovers please come make me some!)
But it wasn't all a bust. Here's what was accomplished: laundry, mowed the lawn, weed whacked, trimmed the bushes, practiced piano/choir music, spelling words, played a family board game, had dinner and lunch together, made sure backpacks and everything were packed for the week.
I know the 4-day school week is controversial but I would be all for it personally. 4 days on, 3 days off is my best operating schedule and I believe my kids thrive in that phase as well.
So we are poised and ready for the next 4 days. Wish us luck!
First of all, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! You are a wonderful blog friend, and I wish you all the things!!! Sorry about the ick virus. That is really hanging around, isn't it? You made lemonade out of that lemon though. And yes, FLynn and I do a four day homeschool week, and it is really great. Have a cozy week!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! Four days of work/school and 3 days off would be exactly right. My mom used to make popovers all the time and she would always yell at us six kids NOT TO OPEN THE OVEN DOOR so I know that's at least part of the secret :)
I really thought I had done everything right. Room temp ingredients, batter wasn't to thick and had time to rest, hot oven that wasn't opened... Oh well. Gotta try again.
First of all, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! You are a wonderful blog friend, and I wish you all the things!!! Sorry about the ick virus. That is really hanging around, isn't it? You made lemonade out of that lemon though. And yes, FLynn and I do a four day homeschool week, and it is really great. Have a cozy week!
ReplyDeleteHAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! Four days of work/school and 3 days off would be exactly right. My mom used to make popovers all the time and she would always yell at us six kids NOT TO OPEN THE OVEN DOOR so I know that's at least part of the secret :)
ReplyDeleteI really thought I had done everything right. Room temp ingredients, batter wasn't to thick and had time to rest, hot oven that wasn't opened... Oh well. Gotta try again.
Delete