Pages

Wednesday, October 29, 2025

Oh Hey... Fall!

We are a high-needs sleeping family. I'm not going to lie. My kids come by it honestly. 

We use white noise, fans, eye masks, special pillows, and blankets. It's a whole thing. 

We cracked the code to get M to sleep at camp. She took a travel white noise machine that is shaped and put it under her pillow so only she could hear it. They aren't allowed to plug things in at camp, so we bought 5 and charged them up. Packing one with each pair of pajamas so she could pull a new one out every night to make it through the whole night. 

I actually brought one with to Disney World in August, though I could charge it daily, so I didn't need to pack multiple. 

All this to say: at 1:40 AM, the power went out. And 3/4 of us woke up IMMEDIATELY. Luckily, we could pull those discs out and we all went to sleep at least a little. 

Did I spend an hour grumbling and refreshing the outage report to determine when it would be restored? I did. But then went to sleep. 

When the power came back on at about 4:00 AM I was relieved to turn my fan and true white noise machine back on, though. 


In other news, as we roll through to the end of October, trunk or treat was on Friday. An honored school tradition. And might I present to you M's Halloween costume: 

A Nerds Gummy Cluster. 


And C is a pirate. 


M's costume was very popular. And mostly made up for all the effort that went into making it. Friday was actually the end of the first quarter, and it was a 2-hour early out. That was HORRIBLE. My children did not need extra time at home to anticipate the festivities.

At about 3:00 that afternoon, she freaked out, concerned that "no one would get it. " I told her to suck it up because it took forever, and we didn't have a backup plan anyway. Overwhelmingly, people got it. A few said bubble gum. One person said Covid-19. But most people got it right away. 

We had a nice time trunk-or-treating and then I went with my friends to a haunted house. I am not a haunted house person. But it was Marisa's birthday and so I obliged her. I was braver than I thought. Some of the jump scares got me for sure but other parts didn't. They had these things that poofed air at your ankles as you walked by, and those got me 100% of the time. No pictures since it was against the rules. But here's the outside! 


Weirdly, the worst was the very end, and that was the part I was actually most concerned about since it was a chainsaw maze. But it was very lackluster. Mostly, we stood around with another group that came out right after us and then stood there while a few teenagers revved chainsaws. 

Only... they wouldn't let us out. And it wasn't scary. Just confusing. And stinky. Gas-powered chainsaws are very fume-y. BUT THEN... they demanded a sock. Since I had come from trunk-or-treat, I was wearing my favorite Halloween socks. No way was I giving up a sock. 

Finally, Marisa did, and we all left. I was in full mom mode though because... so many expensive Nike socks hanging on the fence! Are those all the rage where you are? They aren't cheap! And you just know there are annoyed mothers at home mad that their teen came back from a night out with friends without the expensive sock they had purchased! 

In other fall news, I went to another String Art class last night. It was good. We made these pumpkin trucks and I actually quite like mine. 


And that's the last bit of the fall activities we have been up to! And why we were up last night! 

1 comment:

  1. The Nerd gummy cluster costume is epic! Those are so popular right now - she is instantly recognizable ( at least by me who has been supplying my college girl with those addictive little treats for months).
    The pirate is dashing!
    I didn't do our school's trunk or treat- I chaperoned the Halloween dance and decided that was festive enough.
    Have a fun time trick or treating!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!