1. Books.
I know that is SO easy to say and much harder to execute. I know. But really for the 2 and under crowd books are your best bet. They're going to be overwhelmed with all the newness and excitement. They'll probably want to play with a box or wrapping paper more than anything.
So invest in their future with books. Really, when they're 8 and you want them to want books they might have their heart set on something stupid and the budget can't accommodate both. Put your now budget towards sets of books that you enjoyed when you were young. I was always fond of series, I like my stories to continue I guess.
Ideas: Magic Tree House, Boxcar Children, Lemony Snicket, Little House on the Prairie, The Ramona Books, Judy Blume's Fudge Series.
2. The classic toys. I'm talking your Lincoln Logs, Tinker Toys, Legos, Etch-a-sketch and my personal favorite The Magna Doodle.
C just got this exact one. We just threw caution to the wind with that 3+ age thing. (It's because the cord could strangle him. But we supervise him and it's really not long enough.) I like that the pen is attached and that C can scribble all day long and I don't waste paper. Oh and he stays clean. Love it. It's fun all around, even I have enjoyed doodling with it.
3. For a bigger gift for a group, family or someone special I am a fan of the do something gift. I quite often gift people tickets to a concert or something. This year my BIL's family is getting amusement park tickets from us. Along with awesome 80s sunglasses, sunscreen, a water bottle and a fanny pack. (In turquoise.) A membership to a zoo/museum are always appreciated. At least I would appreciate it. Or a Netflix subscription. You can even buy a few months for people who already have an account!
If you really don't feel a membership is the right idea and don't want to assume that your recipient is free on a specific night, a TicketMaster gift card works for a lot of different venues including sporting events. If I went the gift card route I would pick a specific event I thought they would like and make the amount work for 2 tickets (or whatever the number would be.)
4. For the person who is completely un-giftable. Like for instance your father-in-laws new wife who you don't know at all, my go to gift is a grocery store gift card. It is impersonal I grant you but everyone needs groceries. Everyone needs to eat. And sometimes a thoughtful gift card (for something they'd actually buy, like groceries) is the best bet for the hard to buy people. Or people you feel obligated to buy for even though you haven't the faintest idea what to get.
5. And my absolute fall back gift perfect for anyone aged 7+ is Spot It!
This game is so much fun. It's fast. It's travel friendly. I will even say it is a game you can play by yourself just to get good at it. From 2-8 players...5 different mini games. I haven't met anyone who doesn't like this game. And they have different themes: MLB, NHL, Golf, etc. They even have a Jr. edition. For real this will be given to my cousin, and both of Husband's grandmother's this year. That is how versatile the game is. (Plus is is really affordable!)
So there you have it. With just 9 shopping days until Christmas these are my 5 best ideas for you! Linking up with Mary Kate and her awesome gift giving ideas linkup!



No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!