Mommy Wars are the thing. Every blog. Every magazine. Facebook is full of it.
The judging. The "advice." The advice. The superiority complexes.
Breastfeeding or formula. Cloth or disposables. Organic or conventional. Make your own food or buy. Fabric softener or just a swish of vinegar. CIO/Babywise/Any other schedule/sleep training/who can keep track what the latest expert is saying. I mean even birth plans and birth experiences are debated and denounced. Vaccinate or not (or delayed!) Attachment parenting, baby wearing etc.
I could go on and on about best laid plans and glass houses but I don't really feel attacked. I don't feel superior either. I am certainly no expert. My response to people whose views I do not share is "I am happy that is working for you."
I can't even say I disagree with what I didn't do. Cloth diapering? I have zero interest for myself in it. If I could have negative zero interest that would be my interest. It's just not my thing. I don't think people who cloth diaper are crazy. I don't need a pro con list or any more insight on why one way is better because I just don't care. It's not my thing. But I am truly happy that is working for you. I just prefer a different route. (I still like knowing a lot about cloth diapering.)
We are doing what works for us. And that is really a mismatch of styles. But for all the new moms and old moms and any mom who feels like maybe they aren't keeping up with the Jones' I just gotta say "Do what works for you." You do not need to justify it to anyone if it works for you and keeps you just a little bit more sane. The end.
I know this isn't going to stop anyone from judging. How can you possibly turn off judgement? Even saying "I am happy that is working for you" is a judgement. It is a judgement that it's not worth my time to debate what we clearly don't agree on. I don't think you're a bad parent for doing what works for you!!
***I LOVE when people say "it's not for me to judge." It isn't. But it is a natural human process of the mind. What people should say, as far as I am concerned, is "it's not a place for my opinion."***
I am not trying to be condescending--I find that to be pointless. I know what's worked for me and for my little guy. That's it. So to all you moms who write posts about your parenting styles Kudos! I'm learning from you or at least gaining more knowledge. My mind is pretty made up but that doesn't mean I don't want to know what's going on in the other camp.
I am interested in your perspective and I am genuinely happy that's working for you.
Amen! Well said.
ReplyDelete