It was a long week. Husband was out of town for a training. School was at our house this week. Book club was at our house last night. Which does in fact mean that my house is pretty darn clean, except for C's bedroom which needs a little TLC tonight.
We had art class today. I am really digging the art class. He makes several projects once a week but it's not at my house and I don't have to buy the supplies. Last week M had a playdate so she didn't have to just sit in the stroller and watch. This week she did, but she was actually really good. The teacher Miss Erin last week was talking to C because one of the crafts was a polar bear. Well he was super excited about it. And she told him that she would do all sorts of arctic animals for class this week. She did not disappoint.
There is always a snack "craft" and we got to make polar bear cookies. This is actually the example cookie she had on the table since I didn't think to take a picture of his before he dug in. It is a boxed chocolate chip cookie with marshmallow fluff frosted on, big marshmallow slices for ears and I think chocolate covered raisins for eyes and nose. (I didn't try any to verify what they were.)
He loves the snack craft every week. It's definitely one of his favorite tables in the room. He is getting really good at spreading frosting/peanut butter/etc on to whatever. I love that he can practice that skill in a fun way. The class is really good about incorporating different skills into the activities.
This is him eating his cookies. I told him to look at the phone and say cheese but he opted for polar bear instead. It was a most fitting choice on his part. You can see his no-longer-swollen-but-still-bruised forehead that is healing nicely.
We were having so much fun I didn't take any pictures of him actually making his crafts but here they are:
Polar bear painting. That big circle is snowball cam from Polar Bears: Spy On the Ice.Obviously.
The walrus puppet. He had to get a crayon from the table next to it in order to add whiskers because tusks and whiskers are very important to a walrus fan.
The Eskimo he was excited about. He just got a toob set for Christmas from his P-Pa and it was arctic animals and included some Eskimos. He did color it a little but he liked gluing the cotton balls on. I didn't make him cut it out because he's not great with the scissors yet and they weren't left handed scissors. I am also left handed and after years of practice, I have perfected become capable of cutting with right handed scissors. I didn't think I needed to ruin his scissor experience at his age. He can live in denial of right handed scissors for a while longer.
That bottle you see there I'm not quite sure what it is but it has mineral oil, water and water beads in it. It's fun to shake up and watch. And it looks arctic like.
Also at class this week was a fishing craft we didn't get to, the water table with water beads in it this week and play-doh as always. It was a super fun class. A perfect capstone to the long week for sure! Happy weekend everyone!



What a fun art class! When Peter was 2 and Sarah was a baby I started taking them to a place near our house that was loaded with arts and crafts and creative activities. It was $5 for Peter and we would go from station to station working on whatever they had out. They switched things up weekly although there were some stations that stayed the same. It was always a highlight for me because we got out of the house, it was kid friendly and I didn't have to clean up my house afterwards!!! So glad you are enjoying this class. It looks like a really good one!
ReplyDeleteLooks like fun! (And I just got some ideas for school to do with my speech/language students!!!)
ReplyDelete