On Saturday Husband and I celebrated 11 years of marriage. We celebrated by having some kid-free time. My parents took the kids for a few days and we did normal life at home but on Tuesday we took a little trip to the Iowa State Fair.
I had never been before. On the drive there we passed the Wienermobile. As one does.
Getting to the fair was straightforward and then once we were in we started exploring. We hit up the 4-H Building. This is usually my favorite place and while Iowa doesn't do "Arts In" the way Minnesota does, I still enjoyed the exhibits.
Did you know Iowa is famous for its butter cow? (A cow carved out of a lot of butter.) I didn't really either and I live here. But I have now seen the butter cow live in person. I think that makes me an actual Iowan now.
We saw the Budweiser Clydesdales.
You might ask yourself... why am I making that face and this weird picture? Oh that's just me loitering outside of the grandstand during sound check. Because the real reason we went to the fair was that we had tickets to see Hanson and The Beach Boys. And Hanson's sound check was happening so I sat right down and got a preview.
Husband got the Iowa "Barksdale Cookies" so we could compare and contrast them with Minnesota's Sweet Martha's Cookies. They're different but still good. (I mean, it's a cookie.) I learned that Minnesota has had Sweet Martha's since 1979. Iowa's cookies arrived in 1993. But this cute old man was passionate about it and built a permanent building for the cookies. It was supposed to open last year but COVID. Ironically, the concert was also supposed to be last year and we've had the tickets since before any shut downs.
Then Hanson showed up and all was right with the world. How many times do you think I can see them live and still appreciate them?
So since Hanson opened for the Beach Boys, it was safe to say the bulk of the audience was NOT there to see them. We happened to sit next to another pair who also knew all the words and songs and we were up on our feet dancing the whole set. Not to say that Taylor in any way would remember me, but he for sure looked right at us, even as extreme as our angle was, and made notice of the fact that we were fans.
Then it was time for the Beach Boys. (Or as my kids call them, The Beach Grandpas) And you know what, for being in their 80s, they were great. PLUS John Stamos was with them. And we love Full House and Fuller House.
John Stamos didn't just come out and sing "Forever" either. (Though he did sing it and I got it on video for M who loves to watch Full House. Like for real.) He played the entire Beach Boys set. He played drums, guitar and he was really good.
It was SO nice to have a getaway. Apparently the only time we get a hotel room and spend time away together without our kids is for Hanson. Lol. Oh well. Totally worth it!!















Happy Anniversary! What a wonderful getaway! And even though the seats weren't as good as you hoped, that sounds like a great show!
ReplyDeleteOk. First. Happy Anniversary!!!!
ReplyDeleteNext. JOHN STAMOS!!!!!!!!!
Wow!!!!!!!!!!
Happy Anniversary, Madeline! This looks like so much fun! Love The Beach Boys. (And Full House was a regular part of my boys’ Friday nights for a number of years...)
ReplyDelete