Monday, December 16, 2024

Gingerbread 2024

Okay. I admit it. 

I didn't want to do gingerbread this year. I wasn't feeling it. 

But nevertheless. We persisted and Gingerbread Weekend 2024 has come and gone. 

We laughed. We cried. In full disclosure, we yelled. And we reminisced. The inspiration for the adult house was one from my memories. My great-grandma's house which is right by Lake Calhoun. The lake was renamed some years ago to the Dakota people's name Bde Maka Ska but it will always be Lake Calhoun to me. 


This beautiful lady shared her Clarice with me for my middle name. I loved loved going over to her house. It's really the coolest house. 


Great Grandma loved the Vikings. If you showed up during a game she'd answer the door but she'd ignore you. She would hang up on you if you called during a game too. She loved See's chocolate but would pretend to be mad if you showed up with some. She said "Oh goodnight!" as her fiercest exclamation. 

This year the kids really came into their own with their houses too. I am so so proud of them. 





Husband brought sandpaper into the process this year. Which is hysterical to me. And once again I question how the people on Bake Off can by themselves create gingerbread masterpieces in like 4 hours. It takes the two of us longer than that. 


Hopefully next year I can get excited about it again. We will see. 

We definitely need new cake boards next year. And more powdered sugar. And a plan ahead of time. That would be great. 

After 13 houses though I think it's okay that not every year is one that I will look back on fondly.


Surprisingly, Husband has really been taken with the house this year. 


And I really do think we will have a plan next year! 

2 comments:

  1. Looks like time well spent! So happy for you! 😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your house is awesome!!! I'm so impressed with everyone's skills!! And it's okay not to be feeling it. Every year is different. This whole Christmas season seems a little rushed to me since Thanksgiving was so late.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!