Thursday, October 9, 2025

19.5

You know how Gilmore Girls just turned 25 and suddenly Gilmore Girl fans are everywhere? Welcome to the club everyone, OG super fan here. 

Like the kind of fan who took Season 1 and 2 on DVD to college, Freshman year, because those were the only seasons out on DVD at the time. The kind of fan where when Luke and Lorelai broke up I put a purple ribbon on my door because I refused to take sides and I wanted them to be together. (Longest 3 weeks of my life waiting for new episodes.) 

And in 2006 when my little brother got a cat for his birthday, I convinced him to name her Lorelai. 


This is a picture of a picture hanging on my fridge.

Last night, that sweet 19.5-year-old cat crossed the rainbow bridge and went to kitty heaven. I am thankful she waited, just like humans do, until the kids and I could say goodbye to her on Teams. We sang her song to her. 

"Patting your head, we're patting your head.
You're very cute so we're patting your head!
Patting your head."

It will never win a Grammy, but we sang it to her all the time. Often, with a proxy person doing the actual patting. 

I am sad. But gosh, 19 and a half years is a long, long time to have a cat to love. How lucky to love her! 

Puffness of paw, sweetness of self. When she was a kitten, and she'd get zoomies, we would call her a scram jet. She loved red dots, catnip mice, and sparkle balls. 




And in May, we discovered she just really liked cat soup. 



My mom always called her my "fuzzy sister," so ignore my crazy eye in our selfie. :) 


I will miss her a lot. The proof in the pudding of my Gilmore Girl fandom. Named while the show was still on the air! Even though I didn't live in the house with her long, she always knew who I was. 

3 comments:

  1. Awww that's a cute but sad tale. RIP Lorelai the Cat. You are a true loyal fan and I love it. I think I've watched half of season one?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for the loss of Lorelai. She was loved. And I love young you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!