Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Labor Day Weekend and a Birthday Recap

It all really started on the car ride home from Minnesota. We have those little mirrors in the car so that I can see C when we're driving. (We are still happily rear-facing.) So, we're somewhere in the midst of nowheresville and we are listening to the radio. Then the catchy "All About That Bass" song came on. And C was just rocking it out in the car seat.

He was so into it. It was hilarious. It is still hilarious 13 days later but slightly less so because the song gets stuck in your head. And we listen to it on endless repeat so he can dance around the living. Now, the kid has super cute moves and also just a lot of jumping. (I call this burning energy which is the part that makes the song on repeat tolerable.)

I am NOT going to link to the song, because you either already know what I am talking about or you don't. And if you don't, I am not going to be responsible for getting this song in your head. Because you may wake up singing it one day soonish and I accept no responsibility for this. But Bonnie has the song on her playlist, and Mary did her lipsync to this super catchy tune. And Sebastian Patton is apparently also regularly rocking out to it.

So this gives you a little insight to how my weekend was, it was all about the bass you see.

Labor day weekend is also most commonly referred to as birthday weekend (except for that will be on hiatus until 2018 but whatever, late Labor Days and all.) was all around successful. It was about as low-key as could be and that was just fine by me. 2 weeks ago we were in Minnesota. Last weekend we went to Indianapolis to see the walrus. I just needed a weekend with minimal effort. The cold I wrote about on Friday morphed into a horrible cough that burns like fire in my lungs. Nice.

Also, apparently 28 is the year that I became an adult because for the first time in my little existence my birthday was not all about me. I mean sure we did things I wanted to do but mostly it revolved around C having a good day.

My parents came to town on Saturday. Which was excellent. I love my family and I was really kind of upset at the idea of not being in Minnesota with them on my birthday. I could get over the loss of the State Fair but was pretty sad that I wouldn't see them. Well they made the trek. (yes it is the same trek for both of us but my mom kind of really hates traveling so it is out of love for me alone she decided to come.)

My birthday was swell. I slept in, not too long but I didn't wake up early either. I had French Toast for breakfast. We spent the morning playing with C and watching him be all about the bass. When C went down for rest, my parents and I headed out for an adventure. (This consisted of going out for frozen yogurt and to the Carter's store because SALES and COUPONS.)

After the adventure we went back to their hotel and just basked in the air conditioning, I played internet on the iPad (my mom's) and they rested a while too. This is when I found Husband's sweet birthday post. I totally cried. After C woke up he and Husband joined us at the hotel for some swimming. Watching C having a great time was really fun for me. I didn't want to do much but I was happy he got to swim!

My guy enjoying the pool. He loves swimming. I just supervised.

Post swimming we went to dinner and then back to our house for cake. In true "putting myself above others" mode I had gotten it in my head earlier in the week to make walrus cupcakes. They were super cute and C's excitement brought me so much happiness and joy that it really was a gift to myself.


Dinner at the Machine Shed and C got to ride on the tractor.
Grandpa also bought him a pig that oinks. 
Walrus Cupcakes of my own invention. I think they're darling. 
After cake I opened my presents, which I must say, are amazing. I know I am very lucky because I got exactly what I wanted and they are all splendid items. I will have another post about the great gifts tomorrow probably in case you need a gift giving guide for someone. Then after C went to sleep and parents left for the evening I got into my pajamas and watched some Netflix in bed.

Yesterday was even more low key. My parents came over then left for the drive home. This made me cry, but I just need to remember they'll be here again soon for the baby. We spent the rest of the day in a big ball of nothing. I did a load of laundry and we watched Master Chef. And that's about all that was accomplished. I loved an extra day home with my guys though.

All in all the first bit of 28 is pretty swell. I am still coughing but it's improving. It was a great weekend all around!

3 comments:

  1. Those walrus cupcakes are ADORABLE!!! Totally Pinterest worthy!

    And yes, once you have kids, your birthday kind of takes a backseat to their needs,schedules,demands. But it's all worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday!
    28... Fun times...if I can remember that far back. ; )
    Your cupcakes are adorable indeed...
    Glad you had a nice visit as well.
    Have a great week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are only 28? I think I knew you were still in your 20s, but all I have to say is you are an awesome and very wise 28 year-old! Glad to know you! Sorry, I am just getting to see this post, not sure why I missed it. Those Walrus cupcakes are so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!