Saturday, September 13, 2014

My Diatribe About Gilmore Girls Part 1

Just a fair warning. If you have never seen Gilmore Girls you are probably not going to care one tiny bit about this post. If you are curious about the show at all I would come back tomorrow for my list of 18 can't miss episodes.

Oh dear. Gilmore Girls is going to be on Netflix starting October 1. This is fine by me. Now I don't have to pack the DVDs for the hospital during labor as long as I have a computer.

But now all of sudden Gilmore is going to be super popular again. I partly enjoy seeing everyone on social media getting all excited about the show again. But really, I have all 7 seasons on DVD already, and we actually have Season 4 twice because the most important disc of all started skipping and that was no good. So on some level all this resurgence of fandom is odd because I could always watch all the Gilmore I wanted, whenever I wanted.

And BTW Netflix, you could really make me happy by bringing on Bunheads too. Let's just make it the Amy Sherman-Palladino day and release all of her everything.

Then there are articles like this.

And really. Good grief. Have they seen Gilmore? Do they understand Gilmore at all? The answer is no. Clearly. Because as Ms. Weingus can only commit to watching 18 of the 154 episodes and then is seriously wrong on which 18 episodes.

First and foremost: there are THREE episodes on the list from Season 7. Just no. Most of us would like to forget that Season 7 happened. So featuring more episodes of Season 7 than Season 4 is just wrong.

Second major issue: Ms. Weingus and her obsession with Jess. Jess was important I grant you. But featuring him over all of the others is pushing it for the real extent of their relationship. And "The Real Paul Anka" is a good episode. But Jess is better portrayed, and a bigger catalyst for change in Rory's life in "Let Me Hear Your Balalaikas Ringing Out." If it wasn't for Jess and his success Rory may have continued down her crazy Yale-less path. Visiting Jess (and kissing him which is I am sure what the Jess-shippers are really getting at) is not all that important. We can all agree, that love or hate Jess, he pretty much does nothing for Rory in Season 3 except make out with her and disappoint her. Where he succeeds as a character is helping her get back on track in Season 6. 

Now, bringing into focus Ms. Weingus' premise that Jess is the be-all-end-all it becomes very clear what is going on with the fact that Season 2 has three episodes on the list and Season 3 has four. Combined with Season 1 and it's 4 episodes on the list and that's 11 episodes that are apparently "Incredibly Important" between sophomore and senior year of high school. In a show that goes from 10th grade to college graduation I think it is safe to say that in fact this list is skewed.

Would you like to know how I would change this list to actually give a fair and decent overview of Gilmore Girls? Well tune in tomorrow when I share the actual most important shows of Gilmore. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!