We have these friends. You know the type. They're married, and have been for 3 years. No kids yet, but they have a cat they got together. They bought a house. Now it should be noted that they even work together. (Her second job is being his employee.) And they post on Facebook. A lot. To each other.
But every time she posts a picture he says "You are so talented babe." And she'll respond. And they like Every. Single. Thing. the other one says or posts. Not to mention the glorious updates on their relationship and little moments via stati. "Coffee with my love!" "Wine, lentils and asparagus with the deepest blue eyes."
But Madeline, why don't you just block them from your news feed? Done. But they serve a purpose to this story. Husband and I often refer to them and their ridiculous Facebook trends. The common reference statement is "I want to stroke your feet. I want to caress your hair. Let's go to dinner soon." Because you guys, that's what it seems like. Example: "Hey? Wanna buy a house today? Meet me at noon."
And we don't get it. They presumably see each other on a daily basis at home. They also work together. They should be able to say all the things they need to say that's gushy and ridiculous about dinner plans via text or in person. Or gosh, even a Facebook message.
We often comment how it seems they are working HARD (Too hard maybe?) to make sure their marriage looks strong in public. And I was thinking about how maybe it's because in private it's not going so well and this is their attempt to do better. Or to fool us into thinking that they're doing great. Or maybe they are just annoying and know no other way. The point here, is that marriage is hard. While Husband and I take the duck philosophy--you know the strong and steady above water and paddling underneath the water, perhaps these two subscribe to the everything out in the open philosophy. And you know what? Either is better than not trying at all.
But all that being said. Today is Husband's birthday. And on this birthday I would like to tell him in a public setting how much I love him and I am so lucky. He goes to work each day and comes home happy to see us. He does dishes. (I hate doing dishes.) He lets me sleep in on the weekends, but that means he rarely, if ever gets to sleep in.
So Husband, I love you. Happy birthday.
I am going to bake a cake and get ready to go visit Husband at work for lunch!
This is kinda funny because we were talking about this in one of my fb groups, the type of people who make their lives look so perfect. Our conversation started on this article, which is kinda like this.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.larknews.com/archives/4291
I don't have any friends like that, I think what I get annoyed with is the people who post things for attention. Like vague posts where they get people to say "What's wrong??" etc
That link is hysterical! And yes I agree--we called it vaguebooking in grad school. One friend would even just respond vaguebook to people who did that!
DeleteHappy Birthday to your DH! I am sure the cake was yummy! What kind did you make?
ReplyDeleteIt was Devil's Food with Chocolate Frosting. Nothing fancy but yes it was yummy. And exactly the chocolate fix we needed over here!
DeleteHappy Birthday to your DH!!!
ReplyDeleteAnd barf to the over-sharing that your FB friends do. TMI people!
I do find the "stroke your feet" part hilarious! It is funny (and great to bond in marriage) that you can both laugh over that. :-D