I have been wanting to read this book for a long time. Since I first heard about it. I am a huge Lauren Graham fan. I love Girlmore Girls. Seriously, I honestly don't know anyone who loves that show on my level. And for those of you who would like to try to compete: if you're a Jess don't even bother. But I can remove Lauren from Lorelai. I know that she is NOT Lorelai Gilmore but I do like her as an actress. So I thought--hey why not read the book? And then I got gift cards for my birthday and it was like the stars aligned and I bought it and dove right in.
So a little rundown on the book itself: Franny is trying to make it in New York. She is an actor/waitress and throughout the plot she rises, she falls and she figures out what makes her tick. She grows as a person, as an actor and realizes that sometimes life changes without your permission but that can be okay.
Okay now that I've told you what the book is about, I'll let you in on my thoughts. But before I do here's a few things I should tell you about me that you may or may not already know.
1. The theatre community is incredibly inbred, close-knit and SMALL. In degrees of Kevin Bacon (I'm a one btw.) the theatre world doesn't need 6, they need 3.
2. I have been in theater my whole life. In 3 different states. I went to an arts high school for theater all the way through my masters degree. This being said, I know a lot of theater people.
I wanted to like this book. I did. But I know too many Franny's. I know people struggling in New York, who work at restaurants to pay the bills, or they temp. I know these people. I also know people who are struggling to make it in Chicago, Minneapolis and LA. To be fair, I know people who are fairly successful in most of those areas. And by fairly successful I mean that acting is their primary profession and they are not working as waiters or anything on the side.
The book is not poorly written, it was actually really good. Lauren Graham gets it. She's been there for all of it. She's gone through it. So she knows and writes accordingly. She also has a great voice. It reads like people talk and there's never any ridiculous "he said" "She replied" nonsense. I just wasn't interested. It wasn't a novel to me. There was nothing novel about it. It was like a biography of so many people that I know. It is set up for the sequel that wasn't officially coming when the book was published but is apparently coming now. There's talk of it even becoming a television show. Oh the poetic justice of that. A book about an unknown finding herself and making an acting career will probably launch someone's career.
The book probably would have been more compelling to me if Franny had let her deadline pass and moved on with her life. I'd love to see what happens then. The people I know are too stubborn to ever just stop. Maybe that's the point of the book? But Lauren Graham doesn't know anything about that since clearly she's getting work on the stage and screen.
So my overall opinion on this book was not thrilled. But in this case please please do not just listen to me and not read it. The book is not bad I just couldn't get over it. I am genuinely curious what someone who doesn't love Lauren Graham or know people in this world would think. The reviews on Amazon are mostly good which makes me think it's worth a read. Maybe a library book?
Linking up with Jessica this week. I actually read a lot this week so I have next week's post all ready to go! I'd love to know what you're reading, I love a good suggestion.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!