Wednesday, November 12, 2014

And I Feel Good


This morning I was minding my own business on the couch. I was holding my favorite 3-week-old. (Seriously, it's been 3 weeks already! It's going warp speed!) We were, of course, watching Despicable Me because my favorite 2 year old loves to watch the minions. 

Through the blinds came a sunbeam and it was directly in my eyes. Most people would be annoyed by this. I did, in fact, find it distracting but I just embraced my sunbeam. The day after M was born, Husband went to work and my mom came and sat with us at the hospital for the day. Our room had a big window and it was sunny. 

As it happens, my mom and I have a philosophy which basically says to enjoy sunbeams. We just close our eyes and hum. In fact I am under strict instructions, when my mom is old and senile, to spritz her with perfume, wheel her into a sunbeam and put a piece of chocolate in her mouth. Needless to say we quickly indoctrinated Little Miss M into our "enjoy the sunbeam" group. 

My mom even made up a song called "In my Sunbeam." 

So this morning when the sun was shining, I just held my girl and closed my eyes and hummed. 


Look at that gorgeous sunbeam!
It is cold here now. With no end in sight. Definitely too cold to go play in the yard just yet. (I mean I guess technically we could all bundle up but that takes a lot more effort than I am willing to put in at 8:00 AM.)

Besides, we were watching Despicable Me. 

So I just enjoyed the sunbeam. I even sang "And the sun shines just for me, and I feel good." Are you a Boy Meets World Fan? No? 

I'm not crazy. It's just one of the funniest episodes. Here. I'll stick the video in here. If you are not a "video in a post" kind of person I'll tell you that the song I am talking about is in the first 35 seconds of this episode.



And this morning? This cold Wednesday morning, the sun was shining just for me and I did feel good. I am glad I took the time to just enjoy it too because a little while later I would go and make my oatmeal and when I got back the clouds had overtaken the sun. 

But my heart is still in that moment. Snuggling a baby, a cheerful toddler and a sunbeam. Life is good. Days are made of the little perfect moments. 


5 comments:

  1. Love your sunbeam story/philosophy! You just put a huge smile on my face :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the sunbeam. My favorite thing is to nap in the sun on the floor, but the darn sun keeps moving! Way to embrace the beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your sunbeam philosophy. I may have to adopt it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just lovely! You're right, those are the moments worth cherishing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so great! What a beautiful perspective! I am going to remember to embrace it next time I am in a sunbeam :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!