Wednesday, April 13, 2016

You Can't Always Get What You Want

A good life lesson.

There is a long round about story that basically leads to this: we brought the Duplos up from the basement. We rotate toys so that things can be "new" again.

Husband was super duper into Legos as a child. I was not.

C appears to be mostly taking after me. He mostly likes to stack like two Duplos on the "car" base and then play cars. Or he acts out adventures with the Duplos people. It's creative in it's own way certainly but it's not the "hours of building" that some people and kids can do.

Even though the world of math lost me when we had to start caring about "x" I tend to be very literal.Which is okay. I played with my doll house a lot. It was easily my favorite toy.

Not mine. But this was the set I had.

I had the patio, the pool, the horse stable, the car... pretty much if they made an expansion I had it, except for the porch room, which I didn't know existed until I was searching for a good picture. This picture doesn't have all the right things either but it was a good overview. But I played doll house. I would spend hours having the kids come home from school, and live life. I was never huge on the whole "open ended play" thing. 

I didn't want that for my kids so I made sure to get all the right things. Magnatiles. Duplos. Megablocks. 

But C would rather read. Or play with animals. Anyway, M got Sofia Duplos for Christmas and we opened them up on Monday. So it came with a little catalog. And one of the sets was "Around the World." It is in fact, super cute. It comes with little sets that represent different continents and their animals. Pandas and tigers for Asian, penguins and whales for Antarctica, Lions and zebras and  hippo for Africa. 

But it's really expensive. And while my guy thinks he wants this set, he really doesn't. He just wants to play with the animals. And we already have lots and lots of animal figurines. So it is really not worth the investment. 

My guy is not to be dissuaded however. So when Mom said no, he asked Grandma. Luckily I tipped her off via text message so she knew to downplay it. Here's to hoping he forgets about it soon! Unfortunately he has also inherited my long memory so... we'll see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!