Sunday, December 3, 2017

"The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel"

"The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" "full season" dropped on Wednesday. Full season in quotes because we got seven more episodes. And, I know. I know I sit here in my little tiny corner of the blog-o-sphere and go on and on about Amy Sherman-Palladino and how wonderful she is. But you guys, this show is good. It is so good.

Let's go ahead and state from nearly the beginning that it is definitely rated R for language. (Swears and sexual content.) So if language bothers you, this isn't your show. It also isn't for children. That said,

Somehow AS-P has conceived, written and directed show that showcases her artistry. It's fast and smart like "Gilmore Girls." It's charming like "Bunheads." But it does it's own thing and it gets deep and personal. In the final ten minutes of the season finale, to quote Amy here, my poor little heart couldn't take it! I became so emotionally invested in Midge, Joel and Susie in eight episodes. But the cherry on top of this amazing AS-P sundae is that in addition to being fast, smart, charming, deep and personal, this show is funny. It is deeply funny in a way that I didn't really realize a show could be funny.

There's situational comedy, subtle comedy, high comedy, stand-up comedy... it is intriguing and heartfelt, you are Anton Chekhov-ing it all the way home because if you are not laughing you are crying. This show made me feel. It made me reexamine my life and goals. Can I do more? Should I do more? Am I helping or hurting my marriage?

What Amy does well is she makes everything so personal but she shows all sides of a situation. No one in real-life is all good or bad. We find a balance. And that is how Amy writes her characters and shows. Her heroines are good but they make poor choices sometimes. But the true strength of AS-P is that she doesn't just write characters. She writes a whole world. Midge gives us insight into so many facets of life in the 50s (good and bad) that you can't help but be amazed.


It is a deeply satisfying show that is charming, funny and brilliant. If you do not already have Amazon Prime to be able to watch "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel", it would be a very good time to get the free 30-day trial. Eight episodes is easy enough to get through in that time plus free two-day shipping for Christmas. It's a win win.

1 comment:

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!