Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Beauty and the Beast: Creating Chip

How did we get from this: 


To this: 


A lot of elbow grease, paint, and glue. 

We used this tutorial as a jumping-off point.  But we liked the Whiskey Barrel shape better than a regular flower pot. We thought it looked more cup-like. 

I spent President's Day sawing through the flower pot base and whiskey barrel. That was fun. 


I attached the two pieces and added a layer of white spray paint and then... everything was crazy so we didn't work on it for like an entire week. 

Husband had to stay home with M on her second day of being sick so he worked on it some of getting some more white and detail painting done. 


Then we worked together to attach the handle and the gold-painted pool noodle accent. 

We also determined the best way to create loops for the straps was to drill holes and put a zip tie through it. We also added some gold accent ribbon to the painted pink and blue spots to coordinate with Mrs. Pott's costume better. 

We got the straps attached and painted on a chip. Husband thought a painted chip would be more obvious from stage. He was right but let's not let that go to his head okay? 



And my guy was ADORABLE. 




The show turned out so much better than I expected. (And thank goodness because no one wants to be embarrassed in front of the whole school.) 

It was exciting because this was C's first chance to show our entire community what he can do. I know I am the most biased. But C shines on stage in a way you just frankly would not expect if you haven't seen it for yourself. It is so wildly different than the kid most people know him as. I loved loved loved watching him! (Go back to yesterday's post to see a short clip... so cute!) 

He is so small for his age, truly the shortest kid in whole show (because it's only open to 5th grade through 8th grade.) Here's a picture of the curtain call so you can tell how little he is. 


So that's how we made a Chip costume and how the show went. 

3 comments:

  1. You. Are AMAZING! He looks perfect. I am so happy for him to have his chance to shine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I totally understand about having the smallest kid in a group - that makes them even cuter though, right? Also how great is he to be so much younger than everyone else and hold his own - wow! But the real wow part is that YOU MADE THAT COSTUME! It came out so well!!! You're a woman of many talents my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am unbelievably impressed by that Chip costume! And your guy is adorable. ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!