Yesterday, Sunrise on the Reaping was released.
I had pre-ordered it in June and was anxiously awaiting 11:00 CST when I knew it would hit my Kindle. It actually took until 11:02 and when I tell you I went through all the emotions thinking I would have to wait until Midnight... it's not a lie.
Anyway, I snuggled in and got straight to reading.
Back in the old prekids day, I used to stay awake for book releases. When the last Harry Potter came out I not only waited in line the night before for a wristband to buy the book as soon as possible but I had my brother go get the car at 11:55. We might have been the 4th book sold at the Barnes and Noble that night but I was the first person out of the parking lot! I went straight home and read the whole thing finishing about 6:00 or 7:00 am.
And that was in 2007 and I am much older and require much more sleep these days. So I started reading at 11:00ish pm and started dozing off about 2. Then I had a resurgence of energy for about a half hour at 3:00 and passed out from 3:30-8:00. Then I finished reading from 8:00-11:00 am.
Not too shabby but also not too impressive either.
Anyway... my mind was blown many many times in the first 3 chapters and I continued to be surprised at the connections being made.
There was a point where I was confused as to why we were seeing so many characters we already knew and it almost felt lazy, but the more I think about it, that is exactly what we should expect from Panem and Haymich. Just as Katniss wins and realizes that she will be playing the game for the rest of her life, so too does Haymich have to come to that conclusion and it would make sense that we'd meet other victors living that same life.
It is a hard book to read in that you know what to expect and you already know Haymich wins his games: so all the other tributes have a death sentence and emotionally that's complicated. But getting to know why Haymich is the way he is and seeing how much he lost gives so much insight.
If you like the Hunger Games: you'll probably like this book.
And I don't think it's a spoiler to say brush up on your Edgar Allan Poe because there's a lot of it.
If you haven't read Ballad of Songbird and Snakes... I wouldn't start here. They're definitely meant to be read in the order they were written. Hunger Games, Catching Fire, Mocking Jay, Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, Sunrise on the Reaping.
What's next? Hopefully a Finnick book. Or a Beetee book. Though I would LOVE an Effie book myself.
If you yourself have already read the book... let's chat!!
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!