Tuesday, October 21, 2025

A Whole Week

A whole week has passed, and I don't have a ton to show for it. I am clearly in a season where every day feels much like the last. Definitely a season in which I am not taking pictures. 

I was in charge of checking people in for the church directory last week. The day before, my friend was in charge, and there was a mouse that ran through. She told me to keep my feet up while I was waiting... so I did. 


The staff at school was bringing everyone a spooky witch's brew. They had different bases and syrups to offer. Mine is Sprite with Pineapple and Blue Raspberry--it was delicious. 


Thursday was the 7th grade's Outsiders Day. They read the book. Then got to dress up and watch the movie. 

C went Original Broadway Cast Greaser over film Greaser. 



They also had a rock, paper, scissors rumble. C was pleased that his snack for the movie was mini Golden Oreos. Husband was so kind to stop by the Dollar Tree where C had seen them to pick them up for him. First of all, because he likes them. Secondly, because they're punny. "Stay Golden Pony Boy!" 



Friday, I went with the 7th grade to Fiance Park for a field trip.  So in 5th grade they went to Biz Town and that was a lot of fun. 



Finance Park is similar, though not as much fun, I didn't think. They spend the whole day on an iPad. The lesson itself is quite solid--each kid is given a profile: they may be single, they may be married, they may have children, and they have to budget for a month, factoring in all the things. 

They rotate through a bunch of stations to learn about different budget categories, and then at the end find out if they have been approved for a mortgage loan and an auto loan. 

I was in charge of the Charitable Contributions section, where we had to brainstorm different ways they could give charitably and what that might look like in their lives. I am so glad to say most everyone had something near and dear to their hearts that they could think of to give their time, talent, or treasure to going forward in life. I pray they will always live in a spirit of generosity. 

We were joking with the people at JA that none of the simulations were the Catholic Family Model with more than 3 kids. (And truthfully, there were a lot of single-parent models that I didn't completely appreciate for 7th grade.) 

There were a lot of eye-opening conversations about paying for water, clothes and other things. I think it would be a good life lesson to repeat when they're seniors and about to go out into the world too. 

Friday evening we went to see the High School Production of The Little Prince. It was fine. We saw this same script (written by a local) performed twice before, and with educational theater, there are always some strengths and some weaknesses, right? 

Saturday we went as a family to sing at a Memorial Mass for the school's former recess monitor. After we went home and changed and then went to Cracker Barrel for lunch. M found herself a piano to practice on. 


That evening I went to see another show, this time to review. It was funny. And horrifying. All at the same time. And that was the point. 


Our Sunday was wonderful. We went to Mass back at our old Alma Mater to see the new Bishop Thom's Mass of Thanksgiving. The man is a fantastic homilist. And his was no exception this weekend. Since it was homecoming, there were also a bunch of people there to see and a special alumni blessing at the end of Mass. It was nice. 

That afternoon Husband and I had a meeting for a retreat we are helping out with in a few weeks. I took no pictures, but here's one that makes me laugh. 


Then yesterday was a pretty normal day. We tried a new recipe for dinner and it was just okay. A cranberry pork tenderloin. We are going to adjust some of the ingredients and try it again. 

And here we are lapping into Tuesday. And that's what I know basically. 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a good many things to write about. I am glad to know there are some schools that teach real-life finance. I never got that as a kid!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!