Now let me add my two cents here for a moment: in August it was 90 and humid as heck. Yesterday it was weather wise perfect. And I took this picture all prepared to make it my Theme Thursday to show you just how nice it was. Lame? Yep. But it was pretty nice there.
Then we left the zoo and entered the parking lot. And... my submission did a 180. You see, I am a nervous parker. I always have been. I can drive and honestly I am a very good driver. But when I learned to drive parking made me very nervous. So I often park far away from other people and make sure I do a good job. 50% of the time I tend to "pull through" park. I will find two empty spots and pull through them so my car will not need to go into reverse in order to leave the spot. (This number used to be closer to 100% but I have done a lot of driving since I was 16.)
Husband and I have a tendency to watch other people park and mock. We are mean. I know. We particularly find it ridiculous when people needlessly back into a spot. I understand that at certain events where there will be a lot of people exiting at the same time you have the edge if you can just drive out of a spot, i.e. your concerts and large sporting events.
That's not what I am talking about here. I'm talking about huge trucks driven by short men who back into spots in the Red Lobster parking lot just to prove.they.can. We tend to refer to that as "D-Bag" parking. (We actually use the phrase D-Bag I am not just taming it down for the internet and I'm sure this even puts me at PG-13 right?)
So when I arrived at the zoo I parked way off in the distance. Because that's what I do. And I considered "pulling through." But I had the stroller in the trunk and if someone parked behind me that could get annoying when I went to leave. So I parked normally and went about my zoo day.
We came out to the parking lot. I loaded the sleepy 16 month old into his seat. Put the diaper bag into the car etc. Loaded up the stroller and sat down in the drivers seat. And I paused. When I parked at the zoo we were the only people in the row you see. And now this was directly in front of me.
Someone D-Bag parked in front of me.
And I looked around.
Nope the TWO spots next to me were open so this driver could have easily pulled through into either and accomplished the same task of being able to drive out of the spot later.
In fact there were only 3 cars in the entire row. Me. That minivan which did the whole pull through thing I am so fond of. And the guy who D-Bagged parked in front of me. For absolutely no reason. I can't think of one. Not one reason why with all this other parking THAT spot was so much better and required backing into it. Okay unless your child loves that particular spot... nope still doesn't require the aforementioned style in which you parked.
So, Illinois driver... I am calling you out. You'll never see this and that's okay. But seriously, stop it. You need a parking intervention because that is ridiculous.
Later that afternoon we were playing outside and it was just as gorgeous. But I was still shaking my head.
Linking up with Cari. Everyone should. This is your peer pressure to Theme Thursday.






SO funny! And yes, that does look like a beautiful day! And I am parking deficient, and I thought it was just me who didn't understand why people would bother to back in. Now I know, they are just D-bags.
ReplyDeleteI'm going to go to the zoo on the next nice day and look for the car parked far from everything :)
ReplyDeletehaha loved reading this. I totally hear you about these drivers. We are military and well I've encountered all types in all the places we have been.
ReplyDelete