Embarrassing Side Note: Want to know how being Catholic and public schooled sheltered me? I didn't know that Martin Luther was different from Martin Luther King Jr. for a LONG LONG time. Like probably high school. And even then I didn't really know much about Martin Luther. Color me surprised when I really learned about him. True story.
Now, apparently to Husband who was raised Lutheran thinks this is weird and shouldn't I have learned about him during school? Well... I know with certainty Martin Luther did not come up during Religious Education. And my social studies classes were as follows: Geography, Economics, US History, World History, (it is possible he was mentioned but this class went from Ancient Greece/Rome/Egypt through WWII so if he was mentioned it was in passing.) US History 1861-Present. The point is, I didn't know about Martin Luther, I did know a lot about Dr. King however!
But that is why I love Catholicism, I didn't really need to know about Martin Luther. Besides, his ideas don't really make sense to me.
Martin Luther just flabbergasts me. So that counts as #1 for my 3 Reasons I Love Catholicism. It may be shallow, but I appreciate that the history of my Church comes from Jesus and not a disgruntled individual.
#2 We Like to Party!
There's ALWAYS something to celebrate. I mean every Sunday is a feast. Plus extra feast days. And the liturgical calendar is chock full of celebrations. I just don't know of any other religion that likes to feast and party the way the Catholics do.
And last but certainly not least #3 The Eucharist. I don't know how to describe the utter joy I get when it is time for communion but I am filled with peace. And when the transubstantiation is complete... chills. I just get chills. I love that. I do.
So link up with Micaela and her 3 reasons link up about why Catholicism is so great. And as a bonus in case you haven't seen it:

Amen, amen, and AMEEEEEEENNNN! You know, I didn't used to think much about the Eucharist. Sad, I know. But when I started reading conversion stories where people were 'drawn' to it, I was all: Hold up. What's this all about? And now I know. Oh, boy, do I know.
ReplyDeleteHey, it's a paaaaaarty all the time with us Catholics. :)
I guess being a convert I come from a different direction. We had a class in high school where they discussed other religions. My SIL (who is rather liberal, but still likes to think she is Catholic) likes to sometimes poke at my husband about faith, and I have to interject that he did CHOOSE to be Catholic, since knowing me we had many discussions about the differences. I guess I personally think it's important to know the others so you know why you believe what you do, and why that is important.
ReplyDeleteJust my thoughts as a convert :)
Husband has still not gone through RCIA so we have these discussions all the time. His mom's side was Catholic and when his parent's married his dad was very anti-Catholic and his mom settled for being Lutheran. Then once his mom passed away his dad changed to being raise the roof Christian. (I don't know if it's a denomination or not but they sure have their hands in the air a lot.) And my BIL is something else entirely. Religions fascinate me and reading other's teachings and doctrines has really confirmed to me that being Catholic is one of the greatest blessings I didn't ask for. (Since I was raised Catholic.) I am thrilled I was led to a Catholic college where I could continue my faith education and be able to grow in my beliefs. It just wasn't until high school or later I was exposed to Martin Luther.
Delete