Wednesday, January 8, 2014

WWRW: My Mother is obsessed with her Kindle Books.

My dad got a Kindle for Christmas 2010. He liked it. It was the first time I had ever held an actual Kindle in my hand and I really really really wanted one.

I made it happen early February 2011 the day before a blizzard in which I had a snow day to just sit and read. I think I read 4 books that day. I was in love like never before.

My mom, not to be left out, received a Kindle for Christmas 2011. And her love for her "Kindle Book" has no bounds. The iPad and iPod? Yeah they just don't matter in life quite like the "Kindle Book." And for all the Kindle gift cards she gets, and the fact she has a job and a library card she's not afraid to use, my mom is obsessed with Free Kindle Books.

Now I went through a "What's free on Kindle" period too right after I got mine. But it wore off after I decided the free books fell into one of two categories. (Sometime's both.)


  • The first book of a new series. (I caught on to that one because I am a SUCKER for series and I could not spend oodles of money on random series all the time.) 
  • A Christian love story where a young lady has lost all faith so opts finds a new job/town/life path then meets a man who rides a motorcycle/really big truck. It turns out he is a Christian bachelor who is well known at one particular diner/restaurant where they know his order. The two will subsequently fall in love while rekindling her love for Christ. (I absolutely used rekindling as a pun.) 
Yeah. 

But my mother has been trying to get me to read some of her books. I was resistant. Because, well see my above categories. But in all her "find out what's free today" she found books that did NOT fall into those categories. She has been loaning me books for the past little bit here, and I have got to say that I have found some free or really cheap books that I have not disliked. 2 in particular were actually pretty good. 

This book DOES NOT meet my criteria for a book I will read because it is the first book of a series and the second book is not out yet. But I really (surprisingly) enjoyed Port Honor by T.S. Dawson.  

Most of the free kindle books are underwhelming. And when my mom sends me books sometimes you just know you're in for a quick read that isn't great. Not the case. This book was delightful. The characters Dawson created are real, witty and smart. She knows how to write. (Not always the case in the free book world.) 

I will say that while the price is not longer ALL free, it qualifies for the Prime Free Book of the Month if you are a Prime Member. I get NOTHING back for recommending you become one. I love my Prime account. It pays for itself in free shipping 2-Day shipping alone. (And steeply discounted one day shipping, which I have used a few times. I got my steam vac the next day for $3.99.) Plus you get a free book every month (and it works on iPad and your computer too I think) and Prime Instant Video. 

The book is not clean or Christian but it is really well written and I enjoyed it. I am a little mad I can't continue to story immediately. But I am hooked.  

I would write a blip about The Mill River Recluse by Darcie Chan but I have a toddler who keeps shoving books in my face and I can't say no to a little dude who wants to read. This book was really great too, with a healthy dose of Catholicism, tender moments, back story, small town antics, a creeper and some romance to boot. (Though that seemed a little bit forced if you want to know.) Anyway, it is also no longer free but still good. 

Anyway, that's all I have time for. Linking up with Jessica. 

And hey I made it this far and only had to read 2 books out loud. (Little Pink Pup and Elephant and Piggie: I am Invited to a Party.) 

5 comments:

  1. I hear you on the free Kindle books. I too got into the craze after I got my kindle in Feb 2012 and was looking for something to occupy my time while Elizabeth was nursing. And my mom loves, loves all the free kindle book sights that I turned her onto, but our tastes are extremely different, so I don't think we have ever shared any. Anyway, my point is I agree with you and I will check out the 1st one. I tried the 2nd one back in mid-2012, but I just couldn't get it into it. I should see if I still have it on my kindle and give it a second chance. As always, I love your WWRW posts. Always good food for thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't used my kindle for a long time as I ran out of decent option too. actually handed it over to my 12 yr old and she is reading lots and lots of free classics:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm getting free kindle books for 2 or 3 weeks at a time from my public library. Good stuff too. Stuff that I request. Lots of library systems have ebook borrowing. I have read so many damning reviews of free kindle books from Amazon that I have not yet tried one. So many books, so little time, you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE getting books from the library. Almost all of the WWRW recommendations I've read have been ebooks from the library. I even have my hometown library card and my current town card in case I get certain books faster or just for availability.

      Delete
  4. I laughed so hard at your categories. They are truly right on. I'm pretty well over most free things on Kindle, but I will check out your recs. That's the only way I read anymore anyway. As Jessica says, too many books, too little time.

    I've missed you, Madeline! I've been severely limited with blog reading time lately. Glad I stopped by. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!