So I am swept into the paradox of productivity meets futility.
I am hosting book club this evening and I am trying to walk the fine line between the toddler tornado and trying to get the house clean.
And I am also battling the nesting urges. I initially had a short list of things to do... it has exponentially grown. I find myself unwilling to lower my standards even though these women would not care one bit nor would they probably notice if say, the window wells have all been cleaned out.
In somewhat related in my head news but probably not a logical leap for most; I am getting a little bit panicky about the state of the world of blogs. Most of the blogs that I read have slowly started not posting with any frequency. Or are on hiatus. At first I thought it was because the school year was winding down. Then perhaps summertime was really busy. More recently I decided it was because the start of the school year is stressful. Then Grace mentioned how people are blogging less and now that I know it's not just in my head I worry that maybe the blog really is dead.
And since the blog is my outlet, both the reading others and writing my own I will be quite sad if the blog is dead. I for one, would not be sad to see the book of face go. Yet all the blogs have a subsequent account. And to post a short little 2 sentence update or photo seems to be the way things are going. Which is the secondary fight between productivity and futility. The book of face is definitely faster than writing out a blog, but we lose the deeper connection of true thoughts.
I for one, do not follow blogs on the book of face. I do not need a reason to spend more time on that soul sucker. I find myself becoming increasingly more negative and unhappy when I spend time there. I do not have it on my phone. I unfollow even people I really like when their posts make me feel spiteful, angry or annoyed. I really try to limit my time there. I do not "like" companies. I do not "like" much of anything. I need to delete it all together but I haven't been able to. What I am saying is that the face book is not a substitute for the blog!
So this is me, begging you to come back to your blog home and leave the face book alone. I want to hear your thoughts on world events and what your family is up to. I want to see your pictures and hear the funny things your kids say. I love hearing about what you're reading and why Handwriting Without Tears is so great. Please don't stop blogging. Please come back from hiatus. Please invite us into your lives more than once a week!
This is kind of a funny post, because just last night I was trying to decide if blogging is worth it anymore. I never get comments (or well, sometimes I do from you and a few others) but it used to be so much more active. Sure, I post less, but I feel like people just aren't in to them as much anymore, and so I'm kind of glad I'm not the only one who has noticed. I also don't follow blogs on facebook, I keep the two separate. I'm hoping with two days a week now that I have a portion of the day to myself I might have more time to write, but I do really love facebook. It's where I make my money, so I'd be hard pressed to give up my personal account on there :)
ReplyDeleteI do agree that blogs are a bit more personal too, and I like that aspect.
I totally see how Facebook can be a good thing and I'm glad it keeps your business going!!
DeletePreach it sister! Okay, I say that as I know I am bit of a hypocrite, but hopefully you can cut me some slack and once I am not super sleep deprived and choosing sleep over blogging, I will get back to blogging more than once a week. But you better not stop blogging, I love your blog and seriously, we need to get together sometime. :)
ReplyDeleteWell postpartum moms ALWAYS get slack from me. Which reminds me... I am still waiting on that birth story, you know the cheerful part prior to the NICU. :) We will get together sometime in the nearish future. I swear!
DeleteI don't have Facebook...
ReplyDeleteAnd I love the world of Blogging...
And I hope it continues a long, long time! : )
Me too. A long, long time.
DeleteI do Facebook, minimally. I do find a fair amount of encouragement (I only connect with true friends and most are Catholic) there, but I maybe go on once a day in the evening. It helps me keep connected.
ReplyDeleteAs for blogging, goodness, I hear ya. I thought it was just me too and knowing that I've been victim to the 'I just don't have time for blogging/I need a hiatus/no one comments/do I have anything worthwhile to share....' syndrome, I also notice that others are saying much the same. I don't know what I'd do without blogging. Although I don't have a whole lot to say or creative juices left to share, I have met some really great friends that I would REALLY miss connecting with if blogging ceases to exist. *sigh*
I like to keep up with the 'small time' bloggers and shy away from the bigger ones where I am just another number. I like reading your snark, so keep on. Even if I don't always get to comment :)
I am glad that you pop over here to read. I agree the smaller bloggers are where it's at!
DeleteI think Instagram is taking all the bloggers. Everyone seems to be over there posting quick witty hashtags with their super cute pictures. I like to spread my time evenly over all the social media so I will be very disappointed if the blog is dead. I, however, will be keeping mine going because I love to read things that I wrote seven years ago. And I love that my kids will be able to get to know me better when they are older and read my blog. (They could totally read it now but they've never shown any interest in it and I like to keep it that way so I can keep posting about them!)
ReplyDeleteIt's true, Instagram is stealing everyone. I apparently don't take enough pictures. (In reality it's I don't want to use the data on my phone!) I love your archives when Peter and Sarah were little, though their current antics are also just as great. One of the many reasons I love the blog format is because of the history it captures.
DeleteOh, and speaking of window wells and bookclubs...I used to be a member of a book club. It was my turn to host and the house was spotless for the most part. However, something I cooked bubbled over and caused my oven to smoke. One of the ladies opened my kitchen windows to let the smoke out and I was HORRIFIED!!! The dirt and grime that had collected in the window sills was huge. I was so embarrased! So just make sure you don't burn anything and you should be good to go! :)
ReplyDeleteI totally wound up cleaning them in the 11th hour just in case. Of course now it's raining so it was probably a waste of time but oh well. I felt better having them clean.
DeleteI love reading your posts!
ReplyDeleteI've definitely noticed a decrease in blog activity all around...both in posting and in comments. Not sure why...if it's Facebook or instagram or what? I'm on FB a lot, but don't have a smartphone so I don't instagrarm.
ReplyDeleteI hope blogging continues...I love reading people's thoughts and opinions and all that. I don't get instagram and all that. I honestly think a lot of it is because blogger either get big and popular and then go on to write books or give talks and become a "name" or they stay small and sorta lose intererst. Maybe that is just me reading too much into it.
I plan to keep on blogging and I hope you do too. Even though I don't comment much..I love to read the snark. :)
I've been on semi-hiatus, but I plan to be back with a vengeance as soon as I finish a writing project that has kept me very busy the past few months.
ReplyDeleteI used to be such a regular blogger--if I skipped a day, it was unusual. But I've been AWOL a lot lately. And I haven't been reading or commenting upon as many blogs either--but not because I've lost interest in them. I, too, hope the blog isn't dead!
Not that I'm thinking my blog is one of the ones you've been missing...buy I intend to keep at it, and to get back to posting regularly, the way I used to. And I hope you keep at it, too.
And by the way, you are so funny, talking about cleaning for company. Just this past weekend, my brother- and sister-in-law stayed with us, and one thing I forgot to clean was the window wells. I hardly ever go in the guestroom where they stayed, and it looked immaculate. But after they left, I saw they'd opened the window, and when I saw the well, I was horrified. It was SO dirty. And she's a perfect housekeeper. Oh, well...
Is this comment long and disjointed enough yet? :)