So last Tuesday we had book club and the new book was announced and I went the Amazon on my phone and bought it while all my ladies were still in my living room. Thanks to the loveliness that is the 2-day shipping, it came on Thursday. Thursday evening was a wash. I cleaned up, spent time with my guys and had my massage. But after the massage I felt so good that I thought to myself "Self, maybe you should read a while." So I did. In bed and snuggly. Relaxed as all get out. And I liked it. I read a pretty good chunk until I fell asleep.
Friday brought a fairly typical day and I had no time for reading until rest. And then I didn't even sleep, I just read the book until there was no more book to read.
Pretty good stuff actually. It was just brainless enough to be a fast, easy read and just thought provoking enough to touch my heart a little. Pretty much an ideal fiction book and perfect for the last book club before this baby comes. Not that I haven't enjoyed some of our deeper thinking/debating books but a quick fiction read is right up my alley currently.
If you can't tell by the post title, the book was The Summerhouse by Jude Devereaux. (No relation to the fictional Blanche.)
The basic premise is that 3 ladies the weekend of their fortieth birthday meet together at a summerhouse in Maine. These women met by happenstance when they turned 21 and are getting together to see how life turned out. While on their weekend away they are given the chance to go back to any place in their life for a redo--then they have to decide if they want the life they have or the one they could have had.
It's not as weird as it sounds because as I typed this up I realize that it sounds like a really bad Lifetime Movie. (I did a quick search and it doesn't look like it is one. If it ever was a movie though, Sandra Bullock would be in it.)
I found the book pulled into perspective life and all it's challenges. Sometimes a re-do wouldn't solve all of life's problems and sometimes perspective can in itself be life changing. If you are looking for a book that will give you an introspective overview without being heavy-handed as well as a non-smutty quick fictional read, this is one I would recommend. It's not going to forever be on my favorite book list but it was a successful couple hours of thoughtful escapism.
In other book news there has been the Facebook post/blog post about the top ten books that touched your life. You're supposed to just do it spur of the moment like, but this is not my moment. So stay tuned for that post. (Let's say Saturday maybe?)
I am linking up with Jessica and her Wednesday book party. Have you read anything interesting lately? I am looking for the shallow end of books here. Theology is swell but my brain is foggy and I need some good, not ridiculous fiction to read right now.


I may have to pick this one up. I need this type of reading when I'm on plane trips...which is much too often these days! "Non-smutty...quick...thoughtful escapism"--sounds perfect!
ReplyDelete