We always have Wednesdays off, and on Monday I thought that was nice. One day of school, then a day off to ease us back into it all. I still agree with that. But we got the calendar sent home yesterday and I somehow overlooked the fact that NEXT week we have another mini-break.
I mean, I knew we had off for Martin Luther King Day. But the Thursday and Friday before Martin Luther King Day we don't have school either. And we always have Wednesdays off. So we have a six-day weekend next week again. So not exactly back to normal just yet.
Anyway, for today's Mom Day (which was a lot more fun on Monday's when Mom stood in for Mon but we kept the name anyway...) Muffins I made Orange-Glazed Muffins from Eat Like a Gilmore.
It was a solid "meh" recipe. I followed the instructions to a T and the batter was way too thick. I make muffins once a week so I can honestly say, I know muffins. I'm not like a professional baker but I can hold my own in the muffin world. I knew the batter was too thick but went along with it anyway because who knows?
And they were not too dry, which I am thankful for!! But they don't have a very pronounced orange flavor. While the batter was too thick I considered adding some orange extract to the batter, both for more flavor and moisture but I didn't. Should have gone with my gut.
My only substitution was I didn't use fresh squeezed orange juice. Because, really? Would you? So... they look pretty and the house warmed up. (It's getting January cold now.) And they weren't gross. But they weren't swoon worthy so... I will try my hand at something else from the book next.
And in the future, for Mom Day Muffins we are going back to blueberry or banana. They have never disappointed!
Keep warm and happy Wednesday!

I hate it when a recipe doesn't live up to my expectations! But if it's any consolation, they look really pretty!
ReplyDeleteSadness! My mouth was watering at the name, but no good when it doesn't live up to the hype!
ReplyDelete