Monday, November 26, 2018

Thanksgiving Blizzard

After a cozy 5-day weekend, the November Blizzard hit us yesterday. We went to Mass on Saturday night so we wouldn't have to go out, but the rain (and we got a lot of rain) didn't turn to snow until after we would have been home anyway. 

Around 1:00 we had a mere dusting but I was content to pretend I was in a winter wonderland. I had my fake fireplace going.


And I was working by the light of our Christmas tree. We always put up our Christmas decorations on Black Friday and I love it so much! 


By the time the kids went to bed and we went out to shovel it was about 9 inches deep and heavy! And it was still coming down. 



The visibility on the roads had improved greatly but the visibility from inside the house had certainly not. All of the windows looked like this:


They called for no school last night, which was good because as I was shoveling I had decided I was going to call him in regardless. This morning I went to shovel the front and in all my years of shoveling (and I grew up in Minnesota so I am no stranger to shoveling), this was the hardest experience of my life. For the first time ever, I shoveled the bare minimum. There is a path on the sidewalk but it isn't the whole sidewalk. The snow was just so heavy and sticky. Like it wouldn't even come off the shovel! 

It's the biggest snow event here since February 2015 and the snowiest November on record!




And the kids are enjoying this snow day by what else? Playing in all the snow!! I'm impressed they played for a long time even though it's pretty cold today and it took a lot of energy to walk through that deep snow!

4 comments:

  1. We had the same blizzard. I went out last night to try to get a head start on the shoveling, and after 15 minutes gave up. It was too cold, so so windy,and the bottom layer was so slushy after the day's rain! (And there was thundersnow too!)My husband and I did the front walk and enough of the driveway this morning to get a car out before retreating back inside. Sticky and heavy - this was work to shovel. This is the worst snow i remember since being in the Midwest. My kids school was cancelled last night (hurrah) but my doctor's appointment this morning wasn't. Now time for a cookie , a drink, and a nap. I'm glad your kids enjoy the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at that!!!
    We have no snow yet, just blustery rain and wind.
    I remember those days...
    The fun outdoors...
    And even better, looking around at all the wet mittens, scarves, and hats strewn around the kitchen.
    Not to mention the rosy cheeked kids!
    Your home looks so cozy and festive. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, at least it's good exercise, right? Enjoy your cozy snow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like such a cozy weekend! I love a good blizzard ... as long as I can stay inside! Haha hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving. :)

    Madison | Breakfast at Madison’s

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!