So last year, about this time, I went on a CEW retreat. It's a bit like a Cursillo retreat but a little different. And it was good. In my old post, I wrote about how I wasn't clear what the lasting impact would be.
Well, we found a true parish community. That is an amazing impact. Church isn't just Mass on Sunday. I have real and true friendships with people. We get together monthly. (Or we try to anyway when all these blizzards don't cancel our nights together.)
I was invited to join a mom's rosary morning and my introverted self went. And now I go pray the rosary with friends while the kids play. We pray for each other. Let me tell you that friendship rooted in prayer and vulnerability is real.
And in early November my phone rang. And I was asked to be on this year's CEW Team. So I said yes.
This past weekend, I spent 48 hours at school/church helping lead this retreat. And let me tell you, a thank you is inadequate to whoever picked me for my role. It was so much more than I could have imagined. It was really amazing actually.
I honestly don't know where we are going from here yet again but I suspect there's a pretty good plan I am a part of and I just trust that it's going to be great.
One of my favorite parts of the weekend is how beautiful the table decorations are, BUT we don't have our phones which is a shame since they work so hard to make the weekend really lovely. This year, I had a friend on the kitchen team take a picture of the decorations at Saturday's lunch because they were so lovely. This is after the placemats and napkins were removed since we were done eating. So it was even more magical, but it still is beautiful.
And they did similar table decorations, with fresh flowers and loveliness for 6 meals! It was so nice to feel cared for.
My heart is full and I am definitely riding the CEW high.

The table is gorgeous and I'm so happy that you have found something wonderful within your parish!
ReplyDeleteMadeline, my introverted self has been craving connections in our new VA town, and I wasn't quite sure how to make them (now that my kids are grown and I don't have built-in school parent friends)...so I just joined the altar society at our church. And I didn't back out when the first meeting came around. And on Fat Tuesday, I'm going to help at the parish pancake supper. And maybe I'll even end up making a few friends. So I love your story about the Rosary group--and I agree that friendships rooted in prayer are the best kind. That's what I hope to find here!
ReplyDelete