Thursday, February 7, 2019

Just Another Thursday Home

Last night I went to see a show for work and I was really looking forward to my two quiet hours to write this morning. And then I turned to get into our alley and slid all over hill and dale. I walked in and told Husband, I bet the kids have a two-hour late start tomorrow and I won't get quiet time to write.

Oh, how right I was. Tuesday's early out was a good call since the evening commute was the worst of it. Luckily school was normal yesterday and the kindergarteners went to their first school Mass. (They start second semester and it was the first Wednesday this semester!)

Today we got the two-hour late start message at about 5:00 AM, and I just rolled my eyes and kept sleeping for a bit. Then once we were up and about... and we were debating if we'd be able to get out our alley (it's a hill) we got the school is canceled message.

For whatever reason, we count school by hours attended, not days so we have a whole lot to make up. They've already taken away President's Day and Easter Monday and even still we will be going until mid-June. (By then we will almost certainly have days where we will have to leave early because of heat.)

So that's going to mess up swimming lessons and summer camps and my guess is VBS attendance is going to be way down because it's probably going to be the first week of summer break. I wish we counted days or they come up with some good solution to make up time. One district extended their school day by a half hour but I don't think we are going to be able to do that. They might try and cancel spring break but so many people already have vacations booked that no one would come anyway. There's no good solution really. Luckily this is really not normal, usually, we have like one snow/cold day a year.

And also luckily my kids are not one bit sick of their days together. If they could just use their inside voices no one would have any issue with this at all.


Here is a silly picture of my girl sitting on the pile of coats. It's been so cold we've been keeping the coats inside instead of on our three season porch like normal. We asked her what she was doing and she told us "Just relaxing." Keep on keeping on then little girl.

2 comments:

  1. I feel your pain! We were out yesterday due to the ice. They started today but now have 2 hour early delay. This really is a challenging winter - I think we're up to 8 "snow" days, 1 late start, and a few out early days. I don't mind for the little kids so much, but the high schoolers have AP exams and vocational classes that require so much work that needs to be done by May regardless of the snow days.
    In Illinois I think after a point the school districts get to claim "Act of God" and don't have to make up every missed day. My district had planned Fridays off in May - to use those as emergency days - and we've zoomed past those already. I wish Spring Break would be shortened and that they'd cancel the half days. It'll be interesting to see what shakes out of this mess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our public school system uses Saturdays in addition to holidays as makeups. Before we put Peter and Sarah in catholic school we had one of those Saturday makeups and it was wonderful. Dan and I got the kids off to school and then we went to breakfast, ran errands and had a fun day-date! Sometimes around here they even use the "act of God" clause and if there are too many days missed they will just waive them. Maybe your school system will do the same! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!