Friday, September 18, 2020

Friday's Normal

 It's been a whole week already. This seems crazy! And what a week it has been. We had school pictures already. (Which seems really early, because it in fact, was really early.) 

It actually took me by surprise. As in, I knew exactly 7 days in advance. So my kids wore their same outfits from our family pictures because that's all I had time for. And you know what? They turned out pretty cute. 



M had her first soccer practice last night. And it was SO good to be back out there cheering her on. She has her first game tomorrow already, but I am excited for her! I am not expecting a whole lot this season, it's been a year since any of them have played and they've had 45 minutes of practice. But I don't care even a little. I am just so glad they can get back out there as a group! 


I've been thinking a whole lot about the phrase "new normal." Some people, friends, and family included really hate that phrase and I guess, I am not really sure why? Normal has always been a moving target. I think back to WWII where people had sugar rations and victory gardens... and it became normal. I think to when people started switching from radios to televisions... and it became normal. Let's be real: there is no normal. 

So yeah, do some of these changes make me feel uncomfortable sometimes? Are they challenging me to grow? Sure. But some of these "new normal" changes have been good. I personally was doing curbside grocery pickup before COVID. And now they've gotten better at it! And more stores have added it. Yes, I still like to go in sometimes, but isn't great that if I just need snacks for the soccer game and a Halloween dress that Target will bring them to my car and I didn't splurge on 90 other things I didn't need?!

The slower pace of the spring and summer was something to be grateful for. The long and short of it is, I actually really miss my kids. I am so thankful they can be at school safely, and I know that's where they should be. But I actually find myself missing them. And that's such a good thing. It means I am 100% more present to them when they come back to me. 

So when people say things like "new normal" it's kind of annoying that there's a catchphrase, but it just isn't a big deal to me. I am not really in a big hurry to go back to where we were in February. Sure, I miss live theatre. I miss concerts. And hopefully, we can get to a point where those can come back safely. And then we can create an even better new normal. 

Have a great weekend!





1 comment:

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!