Oh Sweet C,
I cannot believe you are a teenager. Admittedly, you don't look like one. Barely tipping the scales at 80 pounds and rocking that 12th percentile in height, most of your classmates are both younger than you and look like they can eat you.
This year was a big one. Transitioning to middle school went both better and worse than I would have expected. It definitely helps you got to stay in the same building you've been in. Your natural talent for school has helped you coast on through this year with minimal effort, but next year, we will work on incorporating actual study skills into your repertoire.
I am so very proud of you for trying a new to you activity. Choir has been such a good way for you to have an activity that has been low stress for all of us. I am glad you enjoy singing, and I am excited for you to add voice lessons this next year as well. It was weird that you only did one musical this year, but you were truly wonderful on stage. I hope you never lose that drive to be the best.
Another surprise this year was the student council! I readily admit I didn't think you were going to make it but hey... look at you go! I am proud that you'll have another thing to add to your list of accomplishments.
Admittedly, we are also going to work on not getting stressed out when you have activities. Sometimes, things happen back to back. I know that is difficult for your little introverted self to fathom, but they do. And you can handle it, I promise.
Here's the thing: you still love all the same things. Disney. Lego. Mo Willems. Penguins. Walruses. Theatre. You just like what you like. And I love you for it!! You finally got back into reading fiction this year which is delightful!!
As you remind me you are now old enough to take those cruises to the Antarctic. And the Galapagos. You have a lot of dream trips planned, and I am here for it!! I have no doubt you'll make them happen!
The last picture of you as 12.
And the first one I took of you as 13.
Happy Birthday C! You're loved and adored by your mom!


A Teenager!!! How exciting! He sounds like he had a wonderful school year, and with you cheering him on, how could he not? Welcome to the teens, my friend. Don't believe what you hear. Part of your heart will ache for that little guy, but older sons are the best! Promise!
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday to your newly minted teen! I love reading your descriptions of your kids, it makes me feel like I know them so well and I can feel the love you have for them in your words. And don't worry about being on the smaller side kiddo, having a delayed growth spurt is really cool when you are a Junior or Senior in high school and everyone else finished growing years ago :)
ReplyDelete