Last week was Totus Tuus.
And that's all I care to say about that. 😂
No, I will tell you a little bit more.
The night program was delightfully easier than I anticipated. We averaged 50ish kids a night.
The day program was exponentially more difficult than I anticipated. We were about 60ish kids every day.
I had never experienced a Totus Tuus before. Sure, I've heard the name of the program plenty. And I can see the merits of the program to be sure.
But... are they allergic to fun in Wichita? Have they met children? Because the material is great! Who wouldn't want their kids to learn about the Joyful Mysteries of the rosary and the sacraments? (The themes of this year. They rotate annually. But they're all good.)
But there were zero elements of fun or hands-on activities in the "Power Learning Sessions." And so many of them could have really greatly benefited from something or anything. Also, I am pretty salty that I printed Sacrament books and brought supplies for all the kids, and the missionaries never used them!
Don't these kids look bored? Faith learning doesn't need to be boring! (It's not the deep dive into theology I disagree with, it's the 40-minute lectures for 10-year-olds I disagree with.)
Yet, overwhelmingly, we got positive feedback. Parents and kids loved it! I think it was more the skits and the other stuff they loved though.
But I worked a 53-hour week, and I do not think the juice was worth the squeeze. I would be hard pressed to run a Totus Tuus ever again.
Also, to be fair, this was a diocesan initiative, and we were meant to work together with many other parishes in the area. And it basically tuned into me and one other person doing it all. That added an element of stress that I couldn't have foreseen.
If it had been just at my own parish with just some of my parish kiddos, it would have been entirely different, I am sure. I am not far enough away from the week to think back fondly yet. But I am relieved it's over and that we tried it.



My kids have done totus tuus before and there was lots of fun- shaving cream fights and cool activities. ( not as fun as VBS perhaps, but they always came home with something neat to share. ) Maybe your presenters had little imagination?
ReplyDeleteI think it's truly how the program is written. The participants loved the skits and the water day and the recess time with the college aged missionaries. (Though I do think our bunch wasn't totally stellar.) Truly, most kids had a nothing but good to say! The learning time was rough though!
Delete