Saturday, December 14, 2013

Flashback Saturday

My eighth birthday was a wonderful wonderful day. Do you have memories of your birthdays? It's funny I remember that day being so magical and wonderful, yet I can't remember every single detail. This is actually interesting as I can remember some moments of my childhood crystal clear.

My eighth birthday. My first birthday in the "new" house. (It was new at the time but gosh my family has lived there for 19 years now.) I remember two very important details about that day however. It was the day I found out I made a competition kick line at my dance studio. (Tid Bits) And it was the day I got my American Girl Doll.

I had Molly. This was back in the day when there was just Felicity, Samantha, Kirsten, Molly and Addy was still pretty new only a year old or so.


I don't really know why I wanted Molly the most. I didn't even wear glasses yet but I was only months away from that step so maybe excellent foreshadowing? Everyone had Samantha or Kirsten. I mean, we lived in Minnesota so everyone had Kirsten. But I wanted Molly and I got her. The Molly books were the best anyhow. And then during art class in the "clay" unit. I made my own Molly in her Halloween Hula costume. It still lives in my parent's china cabinet. And it is...special. Sculpture was never going to be my talent, let's just say that. Photo evidence here care of my mom.

My clay Hula Dancing Molly. 3rd grad art. 
The back side. Poor sweet hunchbacked hobbling Molly. 


Molly's Dog Bennett He's actually not so bad.


So last night totally on a whim, we watched the Molly movie on Amazon Instant Video. I LOVED it. And it brought all my childhood memories of looking through the catalogs every month and circling things right back. As we were watching I would say things like "You could buy that bed. I never got it." or "I always wanted the Miss Victory costume." The Hula costume was omitted from the movie but I always wanted that too. I never did get anything other than Molly and her books. Truthfully that is okay. Really. I was just so glad to have my doll.

But I went online after watching the movie and lo and behold Molly is being retired on December 31! And all of her outfits are already sold out! While I can get over it and I will, my inner 8 year old is devastated that it is no longer even a possibility to buy any of those coveted outfits. Ah well.

1 comment:

  1. I love Molly and her story. We just watched the movie too. American Girl Doll movies are great Christmas movies!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!