Thursday, January 9, 2014

Theme Thursday: Bear/Bare

If you are reading this, you need to participate in Theme Thursday this week. Cari's lovely linkup needed some new people to join in so she made a post this week count for her anniversary giveaway. Do you like $60 to one of many delightful places? Then go get your camera and join on in!

I say this because I love looking at photos and not because I really want more people to ruin my chances of winning. I'm going to get an entry for this post after all. And don't let Cari's technically perfect picture scare you, she accepts all kinds into her fold on Thursdays. I promise.

So the theme is Bare or Bear. Either way.

Have I ever told you about my brother P? Well he's really into board games. Or maybe we've just decided he is. Anyway, he got a lot of board games for Christmas. Well other brother S got him some CRAZY obscure board games. Like an Agatha Christie VHS mystery game. On VHS. I'll be honest I was impressed there was still a VCR so we could play it.

Then he got these two, I didn't get the honor to play Huggermugger or the National Geographic Geography game circa 1990.


I however was, um, lucky enough forced into playing Greenfingers. The tag line is "Whether you're interested in gardening or not this is a game that will literally grow on you."


They were kinda right.

Don't get me wrong. It was painful. The rules alone are so complicated they recommend having one person to be in charge of following the rules and reading questions. For real. Then there are trivia questions about gardening. And seasons. And plants. And weeds. And the garden center you can collect items in. And "Sun, Rain, Cloud" like rock paper scissors.

And I am not making any of this up. It took 2 hours. And the game ended in a Hail Mary pass kind of way not because we actually finished.

So here we were 6 of us playing this game, 2 of us knowing anything about gardening much less the answers to the questions they were asking. (I was not one of the smart ones in case you were at all curious.) And because I was literally trapped in the seat where I was sitting, there was nothing to do but to grin and bear it.

But it was so ridiculous and so complicated and so long (2+ hours) that it suddenly became really really funny. So while I do not recommend you running right out to actually buy Greenfingers, if you stumble upon it, it may be worth a laugh.


So go link up and wish Cari happy six years! 


6 comments:

  1. I love Huggermugger and have only known one other person who has it (and he introduced me to it!) So cool to see it somewhere else. :-) Greenfingers? I've never heard of it, but now I'm intrigued. I could bore people to death with my plant/gardening knowledge while making it FUN by playing a game? Score!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo I love games. Greenfingers.sounds intriguing. Although I hate trivia games, because I pretty much know nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HUGGERMUGGER!! My best friend has it, and tried to get us to play it once. It...did not go well. Much baring of it patiently and all that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loathe bored games. And that one sounds absolutely horrible!

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha, love your take on TT! Catch Phrase and Apples to Apples are games more my speed- board games with so many rules fry my brain. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! I love obscure things like this. I never would have known about a way to while away my evening proving my horticultural ineptitude without you :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!