Wednesday, May 14, 2014

WWRW: Another Piece of My Heart

Once upon a time Husband got me a lovely Valentine's Day gift bag. The theme was "Red" and it had a lot of things that were the color red. Then he also got me a book that he thought I hadn't "Read." It was very sweet.

And I was full of happiness and joy. And sleepiness. Because the pregnancy fatigue was a dark cloud of sleepiness you see and I didn't want to read.all.the.things. I wanted to sleep.

But slowly the fog lifted and I recently, like Monday decided to pour into my Valentine's book. And boy am I glad I did.

So my book is Another Piece of My Heart by Jane Green.


And let me just say, if you are looking for mostly, non-smutty escapism for this summer this is the book for you! A very brief summary: Andi married Ethan, a divorcee with 2 teen-aged daughters. Sophia the younger daughter gets along well with Andi. Emily, the 17 year old, doesn't. 

The book reads like a Lifetime movie. And that is really okay. This is not some deep thinking book here, the ending is slightly predictable and while sometimes that bothers me to no end, it was exactly the mindless, feel good book I wanted. 

This is decidedly a book for adults. It is not super smutty at all actually but there are a few non-graphically written moments. There are some good conversation points in the book: parenting-what makes a parent. Abortion is discussed for a total of one page but is never deemed an option and it does play into the emotions of infertility fairly well. There are good looks at friendship and marriage and the trials and tribulations that come with those relationships are explored as well. 

Overall, this book probably should be a Lifetime movie. But it was a quick easy read. (I read it during nap time and only had a few pages left to finish when C woke up.) There is enough meat and substance that it is not a boring book but it is not a deep thinking book nor one that you'll wish kept going when you're done. 

Is this a book that will change your life or be one to think about for weeks? Nope. 

Is Another Piece of My Heart a decent poolside read for the summer? Absolutely. 

I hope you're having a good week so far! I am linking up with Jessica because I love linking up with Jessica regardless of what I've read! 





2 comments:

  1. Great! I need fluff to read this summer, should summer ever arrive. Your husband sounds a keeper, what a thoughtful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good choice for taking on the airplane (something I'm going to be doing a lot of in the coming months). I actually saw this book and thought it might be too much "like a Lifetime movie," but after reading this post I've decided that's okay!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!