We have been trying to pack in some family fun but it hasn't been the easiest thing to do. I know I have written about how M wakes up at the crack of dawn. We have an OK to Wake clock and it doesn't make a hill of beans of difference in what time she wakes up. Apparently staying in bed awake isn't boring enough to go back to sleep.
Well because of preschool being in the afternoon she has all but done away with her nap. It's terrible and I cry. Occasionally she will still crash but it's like once a week or so now.
She's over tired my daughter of mine. And it makes doing anything really hard.
Friday night we planned a pizza party while we watched "The new Beauty and the Beast" on Netflix. C was super excited. But Little Miss Overtired was too wired to watch and wound up running around the living room distracting everyone.
Saturday we went to our 4th annual Hot Air Balloon Festival. It was probably the most planned out visit for us which was good. But alas... it was probably the worst of all four we've attended. It was HOT (low 90s) and M was again overtired. So she just wanted to run and run and run. And... they didn't launch any balloons. Which wasn't even for a good reason like weather so I was a little annoyed.
We stayed for a while to watch some of the balloons inflate but then I was over it. So we went home.
In bright news, M seems to have turned a corner on behavior at church. Which Hallelujah! We have found the recipe of what works for her. Which probably isn't the same at all as what works for other kids. I read a lot of blog posts and articles on how to get kids to sit well at Mass. My favorite is "don't let their feet touch the ground" HA! Nope. Also she is the girl who cannot be bribed so donuts never work for us. SAD. (I like donuts!)
What works for M is a Magna Doodle and a bag of crackers for "distraction" items. Nothing more nothing less. If she acts up or gets too loud she has to go to the car. Both of us bring our keys so either parent can execute this threat. The gathering space isn't a big enough threat. It has to be the car. If anyone goes to the car then everyone loses the chance to play on the playground. This has caused C to encourage M to listen and behave since his reward is tied to hers.
But she really has been doing better, so that's good. Light on the horizon and all that.
So that's how our weekend went. :) Two thwarted family fun nights and a decent Mass on Sunday.

Glad her Mass behavior is improving! I remember those over tired preschooler days! Preschools around here are only offered in the mornings - afternoons were never an option. Even if they were, I would have definitely chosen mornings because both my kids were beasts in the afternoon. I hope you both can adjust quickly to her new non-napping routine. It's always an adjustment when they drop their naps! And quite time in their rooms NEVER worked for my kiddos.
ReplyDeleteOh I remember the end of the naps!
ReplyDeleteAnd I agree with Beth...We never did the quiet time in the room thing.
I used to have snuggle time...we would snuggle on the couch and watch a favorite show...Max and Ruby, Little Bear...or Franklin. Sometimes the little one would fall asleep...sometimes not.
I lost my free time...but I realized then that those days were fleeting.
And I am soooo glad I took advantage of the time together. : )