Tuesday, July 3, 2018

July is Off!

Hello! It's July! That seems crazy to me!

So let's start with what's up with us? Well, last week we had VBS. It was good! All of our planning paid off and really the week was successful and I feel like the kids had a fun time but also learned about Jesus and some of the saints. Which is the goal you know?

Heck yes, I just screenshot-ed the bulletin. 

This week we started swimming lessons! My parents got the kids swim lessons for Christmas. We were supposed to do what my kids have referred to as "inside swimming lessons" but we aren't actually members at the YMCA. By the time "non-member" sign-ups started, they were always full. But for the same price (with like a $15 difference) the kids could take TWO summer sessions. So that's what we did! Hopefully, M has fun and C learns to float! 



It's a weird year because I have been officially kicked out to behind the fence! M is in Tot Poles and doesn't need a parent. C is in level one. Last year he would have passed level one but for some reason can't get the float down. He has like no body fat so he has density working against him. I don't know. But he has 14 classes left to figure that out this summer!

Today I found a bench where I could see both kids at the same time. (I mean not well and I couldn't hear what was going on in the big pool.) But, I was able to read my book! And then look up and check in on the kids. Pretty nifty. 

I have also been really busy with my job! Which I haven't ever blogged about either. In January, I got a job freelancing with one of our local papers and I am on their theater review team. So I go see shows and then review them. And they pay me. (It's not much but it's something!) 

It's been so nice to flex my academic brain a bit. I am finally using that Master's degree again and it's been good. But busy! Because there are so many shows in the summer at different theaters in the area I have been hopping! From May 31-June 30 I saw 6 shows! Which was time away from my kiddos. (Plus then time at home where I am writing.) 

M has been having a harder time with that. This past weekend I was going to squeeze in an extra show that I wasn't reviewing but really wanted to see and because of the two show weekend before right into VBS where she was at babysitting in the mornings, plus my three nights out that week where I missed bedtime she just had had enough of her extreme lack of mom. So I sent Husband and C to the show and I stayed with my best gal and we played play-doh, watched Sing! and went to Old Navy. 

July should be easier to manage, with just 4 shows and only one per weekend. And I have a great schedule so that will be awesome. (And I should note that Husband is a fantastic dad and does a great job with the kids when I am unable. In all those outings of mine, they've only had a babysitter one time so she's not lacking in parenting, but she is just so used to being with me.) 

Anyway, that's the reasoning behind my unexplained absence throughout June. Life just got so busy!! We are all looking forward to the holiday tomorrow and some time together as a family!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that theater review job sounds awesome and right up your alley! Congratulations! And yes, I totally get M's reaction to you being gone. E is the same way over here and she too is rarely with another non-parent, but prefers me to almost anyone else. But I did something new this summer and it seems to be working out really nice, I hired a couple mother's helpers to come over in the mornings 2-3 days a week (they take turns). They are 11 and 12 and both play with the girls and make them lunch while I work upstairs. It seems to take the edge off of not seeing me when I am working because the girls can stop in anytime to see me, but they are having so much fun with the older girls they don't seem to mind that I am working.

    And yeah for swimming lessons, the girls are taking two sessions this year as well. The first session was in June and the next one will be in late July. They go to a friend's house whose son is Red Cross certified and he only teaches them for the 1/2 hour lesson. But the first week of June was kind of chilly, so Katharine gave up a few times a bit early and was all "I am going in the car mom, I am cold!!" LOL!! Have a great rest of this holiday week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth (A Moms Life)July 3, 2018 at 4:27 PM

    How exciting- getting paid to do something you love!! Good luck with swim lessons! I bet he'll be floating in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at you!
    How awesome!
    And enjoy that Mommy time at the pool. I remember those days!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!