So, this year our school started "Kindergarten Camp." For the first three days of school, the kids rotated through all the teachers, were individually assessed and gave the counselors and teachers a chance to look at the group dynamics. Then they would form the actual classes.
On Monday afternoon, we got C's actual class assignment and I have no complaints. I am super duper curious how they came to the conclusions they came to because the lists didn't really change that much. As I suspected, the two girls with the rhyming names (that start with M and N respectively, though they don't look like they'd rhyme) were in different classes. But otherwise, it felt like they moved a few kids just to move some. (Only 5 kids were switched from each original group.) C got switched but again, I am not complaining. I honestly didn't know which teacher would be the best fit for him. And now he is in a room with his good friend, which makes me very happy.
So today is actually only the second real day of kindergarten, and yesterday we had a two-hour early out because of the heat. But it seems to be going well enough. C hadn't been sleeping well because it's been SO INCREDIBLY hot and humid. And our AC continues to be dead. (Soon it will be fixed.) But the heat broke last night and he is well rested, thank the Lord because he could not have another successful day on so little sleep.
M is starting to get used to hanging with me all day. She is deeply looking forward to school tomorrow. Her teacher, C's teacher from last year, was diagnosed with breast cancer so their room also has a long-term sub who is assigned to the room, who is very sweet and wonderful. She will be there tomorrow for day 2.
Getting into the new morning routine and even the afternoon has been a big change for me. But I know in about two weeks it's going to be second nature. Luckily our public district (with whom we share bussing so we are intrinsically linked) shifted the bell times for everyone this year so literally, everyone at our school is also trying to find the new normal. I feel like they start so early (7:45) and go for so long! (2:55) But it's all new to me so what do I know?
And since all posts need a picture, here is one that M took. She likes to walk around with my phone.

M is a good little photographer. :) Wow it sounds like the past week has been a whirlwind for your family! I hope the transition continues smoothly. I dislike changing my routine, so I know it must be hard for you! xx
ReplyDeleteMadison | Breakfast at Madison’s
That does seem crazy long for school times. Our school, which is also linked with the public school for busing is 8:15-2:30. Granted, the public school gets out at 2:45 and our kids get out earlier so they can be bussed to the public school to get on the correct bus to go home, but still...your schedule does seem long. How is C holding up with the all day routine? I know Elizabeth was pretty tired those first few weeks. E starts back next Tuesday and then K starts on Wed. Yeah for a return to structure! I am kind of digging that idea right now. ;)
ReplyDeleteOur Catholic elementary school goes from 8:00 to 3:00 and we don't even have buses that we are trying to worry about. It's a long day - especially for the littlest kids so I hope you are all able to quickly adjust! Have a GREAT long weekend!
ReplyDelete