Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Home Schooling

It's raining today. A literal damper on the potential to get outside today. If it stops we will probably put on our boots and go for a walk.

We started our schedule today. The kids 100% earned their spring break and I feel a little bad that I am having them work on academics during their time off. But Kansas has already canceled school through the rest of the year and if we go the same route we will need routine sooner than later.

In the first part of our day, we wrote letters. I ordered stamps today so we will be well-stocked, but I think writing a letter to a friend every day is a great way to stay connected with our friends.


I am glad that we got workbooks last week "just in case." Hopefully, we will get some more guidance as time goes on from the teachers. It's funny, I always kind of wanted to homeschool and this is my chance to see if it's really something we could do. Admittedly, I don't have an actual curriculum but I think I can wing it okay for now. I have Seton Math already and that's where I'd really struggle to teach on my own anyway. 

Morning recess is Cosmic Kids Yoga today. I imagine as it gets nicer we will be able to be outside more and more.


I have some grief if the school year as we know it really is over. But perspective really is everything. A little boy from M's class has been battling cancer and is getting moved home from the hospital to hospice. His family would give just about anything to spend time with him and for him to go to kindergarten. And here I am sad that potentially the next time my perfectly healthy (and currently virus-free) kid goes back to school she will be in kindergarten. 

Thankful always. That's the only way. 

And one day at a time. That too. 

Our parish is posting daily Mass for us every morning. And a rosary at noon. I am so grateful because I already miss my faith family and even if it's connecting online, I will take it. 

1 comment:

  1. I think it's going to happen that no one anywhere will go back to school this year. It really saddens me but you are right - our kids are healthy and will be going back to school some day. I love the picture of them donig yoga. So cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!