Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Blooming

 

Today is the last day of the kid's summer program. The last day. I don't have a picture from the first day, but I was happy to take this one today. These flowers have been growing and the kids have been so excited that they bloomed before they would leave. 


It's a darned good metaphor because I think both my kids bloomed as well. The program they went to this summer was for kids of all abilities ages 5-18. While certainly, kids on the older part of that spectrum are those who need care still, there were plenty of small kids as well. 

C is just on the other side of neurotypical. And at our school, that can stand out. But at this program, he was a leader and a friend because he realized how much he could do. His confidence really bloomed. This was evident when he went to camp. And when we had the pool party last week. It's such a gift to me. 

M has always been a flexible sister and sometimes when you have a sibling with neurodivergence your needs and wants become secondary. Here she met some people in similar situations as her and that was good  I also think that she gained a lot of empathy for those who aren't just like her. 

The other thing that was spectacular was how much the kids were exposed to people who had all kinds of diversity. I love our school community but it can feel a bit like a bubble. But for the kids to know and develop true friendships with people who didn't look like them: whether skin color or physical differences, is such a gift. To realize at age 10 and 7 the dignity of all people's lives no matter their ability or what they look like is something you can't manufacture. 

The growth in my sweet kids is so profound and I know these are lessons that cannot be unlearned. 

It wasn't a perfect summer or a perfect program. But nothing is ever perfect. It was a really good summer. And these kids of mine have grown considerably and I am so proud. 

Now they get a few days at home before school starts. 

3 comments:

  1. What a lovely program for them to be involved in. I love that they both gained something from it! I hope they enjoy the last few days at home before school starts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful for both of your children, my friend. What a blessing! They are both blessed of course by a loving mommy too. Enjoy your cozy time before school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That program sounds great! My older kids went to an inner-city very diverse Catholic school before we switched to the current one, and they used to describe their friends as brown or peach which was adorable. I loved giving them access to all sorts of cultures and races...now they are in a cookie-cutter place but once they get to high school it diversifies a bit more.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!