Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Ready to Work!

 Okay, so I have been in my new job for a month now! Didn't that just fly by?! Yes, yes it did. 

Well when I inherited my office, it wasn't set up in a way that worked super well for me. The biggest issue of all was that the only outlet I could plug a computer into was on the opposite wall as my desk... So about halfway through the day, I would either stop working on my computer for a while as it charged or I would use a rickety desk. It wasn't ideal. 

Last week at my individual check-in meeting with my boss I asked if I could rearrange the furniture. She gave me free rein so this weekend, my family helped me transform my office into a place for me. Since our parish office used to be the rectory, all of us upstairs have bedrooms, but I think it's super cozy. 

I took no before pictures because... that makes sense right? There's no way for you to see how it's improved. But just trust me, I am so very happy about it! 

My helper team was also pretty happy about it. (I may have bribed them with fancy lemonades from Wendy's. And they were just as delicious as Billie Jo promised!)

Those bookshelves used to be against the wall where the seating was. And then the seating was in front of that. 

Here's what it looks like now! From the doorway. (I ordered new curtains and they are coming today!) 


From the corner by where M was sitting: 


From my desk position: 

The phone jack is behind the bookshelves now. That's where the desk used to be. 

A more complete view of the bookshelves:


"My" powder room: 

It is a Jack and Jill bathroom and I actually share it with our Facilities Manager, but I started before he did and he more often than not, is getting a bunch of stuff done so not in his office. 

I did buy new fabric for the bulletin board. The old fabric was loud and gave me a headache. Admittedly, simply moving the furniture around would have solved that problem so I wasn't staring right at it! 


It's still folded up in my closet. So I bought the pretty blue fabric. There's a subtle dot pattern to it and I love it. I am a sucker for blues. The new curtains are sheer dark blue panels and they should be arriving today! 

Otherwise, I shopped my basement for other things for the office. The lamp was an extra from my grandpa's apartment. (The other two are in my bedroom but with different lampshades. So it had just been sitting in my basement for a long time.) The Europe poster was from my bedroom at my parent's house and I think was last displayed at our rental townhouse we haven't lived at since 2012. But I have always loved it, so it's great to look at. 

Even the picture frames on top of the bookshelves were already in the basement. And I brought C's community project church in because it suits and was also just chilling in the basement. My parents have two brand new office wastebaskets in their basement and I am getting those from them to graduate from the cardboard box and liner I've currently got. Plus a recycling bin, which I will have to empty myself since the church doesn't have recycling but it'll be worth it. 

There are many positives to this office reboot. Firstly, it finally feels like my space and not like I am in someone else's area. But also, it gave me a chance to deep clean since we had to take everything off the bookshelves. It was gross but SO satisfying. Plus, now I know it's clean. And finally, I can leave my computer plugged in all the live long day and that is fantastic. 

So here's to August! A fresh month, in a fresh office. 

3 comments:

  1. Your office looks wonderful! Efficient and cozy. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I missed you were starting a new job...congrats! What do you do? And I love the office, I need to redesign mine, I also have free reign but just haven't wanted to start the process. You're inspiring me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The office looks great!! I'm so excited for you! I know you're going to do a great job in this position!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!