Monday, December 11, 2023

Gingerbread 2023

Family traditions are important. Gingerbread Weekend is always one we enjoy and hold sacred. 

Way back in 2012 when I said "I have always wanted to make a gingerbread house." and I meant "Let's go to Target and buy a kit." I couldn't have dreamed that we'd still be making them annually from scratch. 

Yet here we are. And I honestly think this is my favorite house we've ever made. Our inspo was a fairy-tale English Cottage set in a tranquil country garden. Snuggle up by an old stone fireplace and enjoy a cup of cocoa. An enchanting oasis of tranquility in a quiet English hamlet just forty minutes from exciting London. 

In other words, the perfect home for a doodle prodigy. 


Just for transparency, I bought the wrong kind of shredded wheat so I didn't get to make the trees I wanted to. And I also had to let go of my plan for a garden wall. Doesn't stop me from loving the house. 

Way back when we started, I couldn't imagine there'd come a time when I had nothing to do with the kid houses. But that's where we are now! I did nothing to help C except hold his roof at one point while it dried. 


M still required a little bit of help because she's not great at a piping bag just yet. But it's coming. I can see it. 


Here are some process pics for proof that we actually created them. 


Since I use my blog as my annual check-in of "what to remember for next year" here is my list: 

  • Buy paintbrushes. (They came in handy!)
  • You don't need to buy cake boards. 
  • Mini Airheads were popular. 
  • Go scan the cereal aisle a bit when you think roof. 
  • Use the paddle attachment for the icing. 


We've come a long way in 12 years. I wonder where next year will take us? 

2 comments:

  1. I am SERIOUSLY impressed! And that absolutely looks like the house from “The Holiday” (a favorite of mine—Jack Black’s best role ever). What a great Christmas tradition—but then again, your family has so many wonderful traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your houses are always so awesome!!!! Maybe one day you guys will enter the National Gingerbread competition! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!