In prepperation for the holiday season, it is time to scope out your plans. Are you traveling? Visiting for the day? Staying put? Hosting? All of those details that need to be sorted out so that you can make the most important decision: what are you going to eat.
Perhaps you are the anti-holiday family and you celebrate Thanksgiving with Chinese. Or tacos.
Perhaps you are uber traditional.
Maybe you like some quirky to go with your meal. If that's the case then I've got an idea for you. A Cornucopia of Carbs.
Some people use their cornucopia to serve their vegetables and dips (which does look festive I admit) but since we were not planning on serving veggies last year we made it a themed bread basket. It made a great centerpiece for my not exactly Martha table. If you DO put veggies in it I have read that you should put plastic wrap on the cornucopia otherwise it gets soggy.
So... instructions?
And you know what? I think it turned out pretty cool. We're going to make one again this year.
So... instructions?
- Husband made pizza dough. And cut it into strips. You could use refrigerated breadstick dough but we are cheap and Husband makes really delicious dough. (Not that we ate the cornucopia.) Use whatever breadstick/pizza dough you fancy.
- I took heavy duty tin foil made a cone with a swoop and stuffed it with more tin foil. Then I sprayed the heck out of it with PAM.
- Then we took strips of dough and wrapped it around the foil making sure the dough overlapped and fused together.
- We braided three strips for the opening.
- We used an egg wash to act as glue to keep things together as well as make it pretty and brown. (We just used a beaten egg ourselves but use whatever kind of egg wash you're comfortable with.)
- We baked it. We watched it like a hawk and wound up covering it with tin foil in sections so that it wouldn't get too brown. It took tops 15 minutes.
- Then when it was cool we took the tin foil out with a little wiggle. (The swoop needed the wiggle and you'll be glad you used all that copious PAM)
And you know what? I think it turned out pretty cool. We're going to make one again this year.
Linking up with the Thanksgiving Recipe Linkup host by Cari. Stay tuned next for my "secret" cranberry sauce recipe.
That is the coolest! Carbs, yes please; crafty, yes please; kid friendly, yes please!
ReplyDeleteI was (and still am) SO impressed by your Cornucopia!
ReplyDeleteOh. My. Gosh.
ReplyDelete