Thursday, October 31, 2013

Theme Thursday: Scary

You know what actually scares me? The fact I live in a town that doesn't celebrate anything on the actual day.

St. Patrick's Day is always a Friday and Saturday. Before. After. Doesn't matter as long as it's Friday and Saturday. (So I guess every once and a while it will actually fall on the correct day but not typically.) Christmas? Well the Festival of Trees ends after Thanksgiving weekend. Thanksgiving. Not only does that not even come close to the actual Christmas Season but it only barely sneaks past into the corporate Christmas season. It doesn't even make it to cyber Monday and it's an event designed to make you happy and bright.

Halloween. That was yesterday. And it was a bust. It wasn't cold. This wasn't another repeat of the Halloween blizzard of '91 which for the record is still my favorite Halloween of all time. But it POURED. It was so rainy I thought our basement was going to start taking on water. All during the designated trick or treat times.

Do you think that deterred my boys though? Nope. I played into the theme a little bit, safety pinned a banana to a green umbrella so that it would be a banana tree for my little monkey and sent them out for C's first realish Trick or Treat.


They went to 6 houses which is up from his 1 of last year. I suppose it wasn't super real though since he couldn't say trick or treat yet and because of all the rain, Husband wouldn't let him walk. But he enjoyed it. I stayed home where I made chicken patties on a bun for dinner and waited in vain with Kathryn for trick or treaters to arrive. Alas I got none. Zero. I was incredibly disappointed. But I watched Hocus Pocus and Addam's Family Values in true spirit so I bucked up a little.


And because our area is so weird and wonderful, the next town over has Halloween good and proper from 5-7 tonight so we get another go around. PLUS his friends Mason and Owen are having a Halloween party this afternoon so we're pretty excited for that!

But do you know what's really really scary? This candy bowl is full of only half of the 369 pieces we bought in anticipation of living in a good neighborhood this year. Plus Kathryn gave us her Twix because even though she likes chocolate, caramel and cookies apparently when they are all together as candy that's no good.

Admit it. That's pretty scary. 


Linking up with all the other scary Halloweeny fun over at Clan Donaldson. Happy Halloween! May you get a better turn out than zero.

4 comments:

  1. We have had Halloween activities for a week! I don't mind a changed date, but I admit that so many days of activities is getting a bit tiring. We don't even plan for trick-or-treaters because we live on a dead-end where there is only one other kid. No one comes up here. Oh well. Not that different from when I was a kid, really! And yes, the Halloween blizzard of '91 was AWESOME! Have fun tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Twix are my favorite!! I'l take the leftovers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha, I didn't buy any chocolate this year because I feared such a scary bowl. Skittles, Starburst and fruit snacks....all things enjoyed by every member of the household but me. Ours is tonight...my m-i-l wanted us to hop the bridge and do her neighborhood last night, but I refused because we didn't have an ark :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also grew up in a town where they always moved Halloween and you had to hear from the news which day it was going to be, people without kids were always confused.

    Love your little monkey!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!