And I was like. "Oh I read that book..." Then I watched the movie I came for and began driving home.
On my drive home I pondered The Maze Runner for a moment.
And I thought to myself "Self, I do not recall enjoying that book. But that preview looks pretty good and you have most certainly matured since you read the book. Maybe give it another try."
I am here to tell you friends. No.
I was tricked into rereading a series of books that is disturbing and not remotely likable.
Should have gone with my gut.
I wish I had a better WWRW for you. Alas, I do not. But do not get caught up in the movie craze... the maze, depressing and just becomes so darn twisted you can't even believe it started in a maze.
Linking up with Jessica our hostess with the most-est.

I too did not like The Maze Runner. Too trippy, like a nightmare. Too dark, no hope, none.
ReplyDeleteAnd with no logical answers. I finished it and was like, "Wait, what? Why were they in there? What was the point?" Nothing was answered or clarified at all, and I was just confused and annoyed. Too confused and annoyed even to be depressed by the apparent hopelessness.
ReplyDeleteDark I can deal with, as long as there's internal logic to the story, and compelling characters (see: The Hunger Games). I thought The Maze Runner had neither. It had kind of an interesting premise and a good pace to the story, but that was it. If the rest of the series doesn't get any better, I think I'll pass on it.
I too can deal with Dark and thoroughly enjoyed The Hunger Games. The complete series does not get better, it in fact get's MORE confusing and dark. The overall ending of the series leaves many more questions than it gives answers. I would definitely vote skipping it. I can't believe I reread them even knowing that I didn't like them the first time around.
DeleteHey M - okay, I left this crazy long comment over at Jessica's blog about the Maze Runner Series and then thought...oh wait…I bet M would appreciate if I actually left the comment on her blog where she actually talks in depth about the series. So here is the comment…solidarity, sister, solidarity!
ReplyDelete"Oh my, I didn't even read The Maze Runner, but I am still upset about the time I wasted reading the prequel to this same series called The Kill Order. Being the last to the party kind of person I usually am I was looking for another YA dystopian type of novel last summer and came across The Maze Runner…maybe from Madeline's blog…anyway. When I looked for it on Amazon, I saw that there was now a prequel and figured, well, I should just start there instead of backtracking. AHH…so horrible. I kept waiting for it to get better, but no, it just kept getting worse and worse and when I did finish it confirmed to me that there would be no point in reading The Maze Runner because if I couldn't stomach this one, well then what was the point. So yes, I feel your pain Madeline…when there are so many other good books out there, it makes me regret spending time on those that are just bad (at least IMHO). I guess the only upside to this was that I was so mad at myself for finishing the book that I vowed not to read a book all the way through if it made that upset and yeah, I didn't finish Divergent earlier this year for that very same reason. Not going to commit the same mistake twice. Ugh! Okay, stepping down off my soapbox now…thanks for letting me vent…I do feel better now. :) Oh and P.S. Happy Birthday Jessica!"