Friday, October 7, 2016

7QT: Last night's storm.

one. Last night as Husband and I were watching Survivor, which is my current binge-watching phase, the sirens went off. We switched to TV and they were just doing the news like normal. And in the corner was a severe thunderstorm warning. So we closed some windows and went back to Survivor.

two. Then about ten minutes later, the sirens and our phones went off for a tornado warning. We live in a pretty big county so I switched over to TV and the yellow line the weather man had drawn tracking the storm went directly over our house. Like he named our street and neighborhood. So... Husband ran upstairs to get the kids  while I closed our porch up. It was already crazy windy. And we headed into the basement. We got down there and promptly lost power. Luckily we have awesome LED lanterns.

three. We didn't have internet obviously, and even the cell network wasn't working so we just hung out. The kids drank some water and played megablocks. We heard some banging. We stayed down there until about 11:30 when I had my mom check the weather for us, since in Minnesota the internet worked just fine.

four. It took us a while to get resettled. We had to put batteries in the white noise machines and luckily we had enough! The kids got a bonus story by lantern, then M went right to bed. C, was a little less excited about the situation. M doesn't like any light at all when she sleeps but C likes a nightlight. As fate would have it, my brother gave him a marquee light up C that runs on batteries. So I turned that on and moved it to his bedside table. I was so glad we had that.

five. I fell into a very disjointed sleep and kept waking up to see if school was delayed or cancelled. Just after 5:00 the power came back on and I walked around turning off lights. Then got a couple hours of not worrisome sleep.

six. The storm pushed out all our hot muggy air and brought true Fall in so that's something. We lost some smaller branches, a ton of leaves and our outside toys blew around our lawn. Also our grill somehow made it to the middle of the yard and now there is charcoal in a big pile. But small potatoes I am sure.

seven. And luckily it's Friday so that's awesome. Since we do our grocery shopping on Saturdays the food in the fridge was minimal. And freezers keep food cold enough without power for 24-48 hours so all of that is fine!

1 comment:

  1. So glad everything is okay in your neck of the woods! I hope you guys have a great (and tornado-free) weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!