Monday, November 7, 2016

What's Your Name Man? Alexander Hamilton

Oh my gosh. Hamilton was everything I wanted. And so much more. I can't articulate how much I enjoyed it. But I am going to try.

We drove in. Got a ROCKSTAR parking spot for less than I was willing to pay. (Seriously, $16 for the day is not bad in Chicago!)



We were slightly disappointed by the fact that Karen Olivio was out. (Husband more than I, since I am not the fan of In The Heights that he is.) We also had the Sunday Hamilton, Joseph Morales. Because, we saw it on a Sunday. I am coming to the understanding that if an actor has not played Usnavi they probably have a leg up on Hamilton. 

Morales was just fine. He hasn't completely come into his own yet, but the show just opened and he probably hasn't had that many chances to play it yet. The weak spot was "Say No to This" but he recovered and probably only 40% of the audience noticed. 


When I faced the battle of Ticketmaster on June 21, these were the tickets I was offered after 2.5 hours of trying. We took them even though they were "limited view." We did miss everything on the far stage left and the top platform. 

Apparently the Public Bank Theatre is known for basically having terrible sight lines so I consider myself lucky. We looked at seats in the far back of the main floor and they missed like half the stage. And old theater = support poles blocking views as well. 

As luck would have it, because the seats were very small and squished together, the two people on my immediate left didn't show up! (I know, those were expensive seats so that's crazy to me! Plus... Hamilton!) And after intermission you better believe we scooted over for even better sight lines! 

The show was so good. The Reynold's Pamphlet wins for the most improved. The song is catchy. But with the choreography... it's amazing. The ensemble was utilized more than I could have imagined and only a few times did it seem out of place. 

It was wonderful. Just amazing. If you can see it, see it. I want to see it again. It's also probable if/when I see it again, someone will not be trying to smoke marijuana during The Battle of Yorktown. It must have been in the balcony and it was so ridiculous.

After the show, as I told you we would, we had dinner at Portillo's. It was just as delicious as I wanted it to be. And I totally took a slice of cake home with me and I am going to enjoy that during rest time this afternoon!


It was just the very best day. I loved every minute of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!