Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Want to Play a Math Game?

Kindergarten Math. I am not a math person. And I sure wish I was British and could say maths because it just seems better and maybe I wouldn't have disliked it so much...

ANYWAY. So I found this game  on the interwebs and this is a great version on Teachers Pay Teachers but I just kind of stole the idea, made my own and didn't pay for the sheets. 

This was the first time I introduced C to Base 10 Blocks but he took to them right away and he really loved the game. Instead of using the ones cubes I decided to have him color. Mostly because M was around I didn't want the ones to be scattered. But I had him switch every other row to help exaggerate the groups of ten. 


So basically we took turns rolling the die and coloring in our squares. Every time we filled in ten squares we earned a "tens" block. And then practiced counting by "tens." C also wrote the numbers he rolled underneath his square. Well most of them anyway... clearly the excitement caught up with him and he missed a few. Also clearly we need to work on writing the number 3, since I was upside down and didn't notice he was writing it backwards the whole time.

Then obviously, when he got to 100 he earned a "hundreds" block. He won mostly fair and square but I think I got skipped once or twice while I was redirecting a rambunctious two-year-old. But we got some good math practice in which is awesome! We'll play again soon with the "ones" blocks, probably while someone else* in our house is distracted or napping. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!